Pros and Cons of Bigger Tires?

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Re: Pros and Cons of Bigger Tires?

Postby stcyrwm » Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:53 pm

fFWIW I originally intednded to up size my 13 inch tires, after moving the springs above the axles, I found I had the same ground clearance as my Jeep. I’ve hauled it a lot of places that was with 13 inch tires just fine.
An example. https://youtu.be/mRjktdd2CTw
Tom

It is worth a lot. I so appreciate eveybody that shared their actual experinces. It is the thing that helps me sort things out the best. The video is awesome in that regard. Given that my TV is a Honda Pilot and not a Jeep - that says a lot about 13" tires!

Thanks, Bill
stcyrwm
Teardrop Builder

Postby Jdw2717 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:17 pm

We have run the 12" wheels that I get at Northern Tool since I built our teardrop in 2013. The camper has close to 27,000 miles on it now with no issues with the tires. Most of those miles are interstate miles as well. I used to worry in the early days after reading people's comments but now that we have this many miles I realize that they are perfectly fine and should serve you well. Our camper is fairly light at 840 lbs and not overbuilt and heavy like some that I have seen so that may account for some of the problems that others have had with these wheels in the past.

My only complaint with these tires is that they don't last very long. I think I am on my third set at this point.
"Twenty years form now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines... Explore. Dream. Discover" Mark Twain

John & Tatanya
Jdw2717
Teardrop Master

Postby stcyrwm » Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:55 am

Jdw2717 wrote:We have run the 12" wheels that I get at Northern Tool since I built our teardrop in 2013. The camper has close to 27,000 miles on it now with no issues with the tires....

My only complaint with these tires is that they don't last very long. I think I am on my third set at this point.

Third set in 27000 miles? Dang, that's good to know.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
stcyrwm
Teardrop Builder

Postby Squigie » Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:45 pm

Jdw2717 wrote:The camper has close to 27,000 miles on it now with no issues with the tires. Most of those miles are interstate miles as well.

Different strokes for different folks.
We all have our preferences in travel methods, as well as destinations. And certain parts of the country, or particular states, are known for not maintaining roads very well.

Smooth, paved roads are not a problem for a quality small tire.

You may note that people like Tony and I, who are advocating for more sidewall and taller tires, tend to talk about remote destinations and back roads.

We need that extra cushion, the better bridging over rocks, the higher ground clearance, and the better tire construction, because of where our trailers go.
In contrast, many of the small tire people here rarely go farther from the highway than the nearest campground. If the biggest worry you have for a rough ride are a few potholes and the occasional gutter, then small tires are probably right for you.

But I go places where four wheel drive and decent ground clearance are a necessity. Small tires are a hindrance, handicap, and liability.

If you desire a form of compromise from me, I will acquiesce to something that may be unexpected: 8" wheels and wide tires.
Of all the small tire trailers and tent trailers that I have owned, I found the wide tire 8" wheel to offer a better ride, with the width somewhat helping out on rough roads. But the small diameter is still a huge pain in the butt on rocky or heavily rutted roads - or even just climbing a curb.

But, again, the wide tire, 8" wheel combination comes back to offering more cushion and more 'floatation'.
Making the tire bigger somehow - whether by width or by height - makes a difference.
It is all in spreading out the load, decreasing the jarring impacts, and turning your tire into the primary active component in the suspension.
We've gone over this before when talking about tire size, so I'll try not to dwell. But the average leaf-sprung utility trailer (or TD frame) has only about 1" of suspension travel, if that. The easiest way to gain more 'suspension travel' and smooth out the harsh ride is to put taller, more flexible tires on it.

The *only* reasons why I'm still running 5.30-12s on my tent trailer for family trips are:
1. It has a torsion axle, which means I cannot do an axle flip to fit a larger tire.
2. If I wanted to fit a larger tire with the axle in its current location, I would have to cut a bulkhead, the floor, and the trailer side; and then rebuild the wheel well and add a fender flare.
Squigie
The 300 Club

Postby DesertApprentice » Wed May 26, 2021 2:56 pm

This thread is very helpful as I'm still designing my 5x8' teardrop. I upsized my 2018 JLU Rubicon to 37" tires. I want to use the factory 33" tire for the teardrop.

i have these questions:

1) Anyone used 33" tires with Timbren axle less suspension?
Timbren web site "recommends" tires no bigger than 235/85R16. My 33" tire is 285/70R17. My hunch is it will work.
I have the Timbren product spec https://timbren.com/pdf/184003f I'm looking at 1-ton (2200 lbs) or 3500 lbs options. Column (b) affect the clearance, column (k) is affects spindle length, therefore the tire width, i guess.

2) Is there any value for the camper to have higher clearance than the Jeep?
My Rubicon has ~12" clearance. Depends on which Timbren suspension I choose, with my 33" tires, the camper clearance can range from 12" to 24".
Lower clearance will allow more cabin height, roof fan etc and still allow the camper to go inside my garage.

3) Should I ever consider 37" tires for a teardrop?
The only reason for the question is to match the trailer and Jeep tires. With so much concerns with 33" tire already, 37" may sound insane. I thought to ask anyway.

Thanks!
DesertApprentice
Teardrop Advisor

Postby DesertApprentice » Wed May 26, 2021 3:37 pm

I just called Timbren, for anyone thinking about the same thing, here is what I have learned:
1. Don't even think about 37" tires with the any Timbren axle less suspension, will not work.
2. A 33" inch tire requires Timbren HD (Heavy Duty) option. If I want to use the original Jeep factory tire/rim, I have to use this hub with 5-5 bolt pattern https://timbren.com/i-30498040-3500-lb- ... ttern.html
These two restrictions limit my choice only to one https://timbren.com/i-30497992-1-tonne- ... ndles.html (without the 4" lift).
That's a 2200 Lbs suspension.
He warns me the full loaded camper should not exceed 80% of weight limit, which means my 5x8' camper should never weigh more than 1760 lbs (everything included).

Is it common for a 5x8' teardrop fully loaded to exceed 1760 lbs?
DesertApprentice
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Socal Tom » Thu May 27, 2021 2:06 pm

DesertApprentice wrote:I just called Timbren, for anyone thinking about the same thing, here is what I have learned:
1. Don't even think about 37" tires with the any Timbren axle less suspension, will not work.
2. A 33" inch tire requires Timbren HD (Heavy Duty) option. If I want to use the original Jeep factory tire/rim, I have to use this hub with 5-5 bolt pattern https://timbren.com/i-30498040-3500-lb- ... ttern.html
These two restrictions limit my choice only to one https://timbren.com/i-30497992-1-tonne- ... ndles.html (without the 4" lift).
That's a 2200 Lbs suspension.
He warns me the full loaded camper should not exceed 80% of weight limit, which means my 5x8' camper should never weigh more than 1760 lbs (everything included).

Is it common for a 5x8' teardrop fully loaded to exceed 1760 lbs?

It really depends on you. My empty trailer weighs in at about 900 lbs. The frame is about 340, the rest is estimated based on weight of materials. From there add the weights of all the stuff you will be bringing. Water is 8lbs per gallon, so 12 gallons adds about 100 lbs. Are you carrying a spare tire? How about tools? an Awning, how much will your food, clothes etc weigh? On my typical trip I'm at about 1300lbs, on weekends that my son brings 2 friends it increases to at least 1500, and it might even go over that, with 2 more chairs, twice as much food and water, 2 more sleeping bags an extra table....
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby MickinOz » Thu May 27, 2021 4:15 pm

DesertApprentice wrote:This thread is very helpful as I'm still designing my 5x8' teardrop. I upsized my 2018 JLU Rubicon to 37" tires. I want to use the factory 33" tire for the teardrop.

2) Is there any value for the camper to have higher clearance than the Jeep?
My Rubicon has ~12" clearance. Depends on which Timbren suspension I choose, with my 33" tires, the camper clearance can range from 12" to 24".
Lower clearance will allow more cabin height, roof fan etc and still allow the camper to go inside my garage.

There is a little value in having slightly higher clearance than the Jeep.
A theory over here is that dingoes' heads are the widest part of their body, so where the head fits the rest can follow.
I guess the idea applies to a car/trailer combination.
You do want the trailer to not be the limiting factor - you want it so that if the Jeep gets through, the trailer will follow.

But actual vertical clearance height is possibly not the issue.
I don't know what they call it in the US, but here in Oz we talk about approach/departure angles.
Those need to at least match your jeep, I'm thinking.
The angles are influenced by the clearance height, but also by the length of your overhangs.
It's why you see a lot of off-road trailers with the an angled cutaway at the bottom rear.

Consider the breakover angle too - a long draw bar (tongue?) on the trailer reduces the breakover angle between the Jeep and the trailer.
Of course a too short drawbar isn't good either.

I borrowed the attached drawing from a Quora post - hopefully they won't mind.
Attachments
angles.JPG
angles.JPG (24.33 KiB) Viewed 1794 times
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Location: Somewhere, in 379,725 square miles of South Australia

Postby DesertApprentice » Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:44 pm

thank you SoCal Tom and MickinOz! The feedbacks are very valuable, appreciate it!
DesertApprentice
Teardrop Advisor

Postby gudmund » Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:18 pm

Last edited by gudmund on Wed Mar 09, 2022 2:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gudmund
500 Club

Postby Tom&Shelly » Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:59 pm

gudmund wrote:and more :stompspam: :stompspam: :stompspam:

This fellow needs to be banned. My guess is he's Russian, and trying for a blitz before he gets cut-off from western currency.

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Previous

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets