HF or NT 5 X 8 trailer entension?

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Re: HF or NT 5 X 8 trailer entension?

Postby saywhatthat » Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:32 pm

At the shop we get 2 are 3 trailers a year . The insurance companies don't want to pay up. So any modification you've done that they consider not safe they don't pay. so the whole time while sitting at the shop there's being storage charge. There's no work being done you're going to get charged for an estimate. The trailer won't be released until the bill is paid. On the 30th day lien paperwork will be started. With extra fees that will add up very fast. I have seen only one that this has happen too the owner get it out.
Was not posting about the lug nuts. The larger the outside circumference the more centrifugal forces placed on the bearing . Those going with large tires normally step up to a 3500 pound axle for the larger bearing surfaces .many cheap axles have cast spindles
So hope you all the luck in your build.
Il suffit de le faire
fast, cheap, fiberglass/ foam stressed skin panels
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73945

Build 4.5 by 8' using Trailtop fiberglass Components
http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=70729
saywhatthat
The 300 Club

Postby QueticoBill » Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:01 pm

Yes it can be extended in width and length with probably smaller than 2x6 or 2x8, which will make it easier to meet your gvw goal. Height of floor may not be a concern for you, but most people like being able to sit in door. I underslung axel to further lower it.

I had antipited changing just wheels and tires to 14" but now would like to add brakes so planning on changing axel (can't add brakes to NT axel).

I don't know about current production models but the (black) paint on mine faded a lot fast. The Krylon I used for added steel is fine. I plan to paint entire frame before long.
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:09 am

There is a trade off between ground clearance (i.e. lift) and convenient galley counter height while maintaining adequate space under the counter for cooler/12v fridge stowage. One solution might be to do a split level countertop, or just partial width counter.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:25 am

Lift and larger tire diameter.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby dmdc411 » Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:34 pm

I used the Northern Tool no floor landscape trailer. I paid a local welder to add diagonals, and lengthened the tongue. That cost $275. Add the $425 I paid for the trailer. Welder guy says, "I can build you a much better trailer for what you have in this". So, haven't taken him up on it yet! But I am waiting for lumber cost to go down!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
dmdc411
Teardrop Master

Postby John61CT » Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:32 pm

that'll be a long wait
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby QueticoBill » Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:09 pm

dmdc411 wrote:I used the Northern Tool no floor landscape trailer. I paid a local welder to add diagonals, and lengthened the tongue. That cost $275. Add the $425 I paid for the trailer. Welder guy says, "I can build you a much better trailer for what you have in this". So, haven't taken him up on it yet! But I am waiting for lumber cost to go down!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I extended tongue on mine for $25 piece of steel tube. There were other changes including planned axel, wheel, and brake upgrade, but killer for me would have been registration. Easy in some states, killer in others. Maybe some people like standing in line at DMV.
QB
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby John61CT » Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:37 pm

Maine rego's are apparently available mail order no inspection.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby QueticoBill » Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:59 am

John61CT wrote:Maine rego's are apparently available mail order no inspection.

You still need a vin. In NYS for weight up to 1000 pounds you need a lot of paperwork to get that and only can get it when registering. Over 1000, more paper and inspections at their convenience. I have no patience for DMV bureaucracy.
QB
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby western traveler » Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:23 am

Did you take a look at this in the Build Journals?

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73426
western traveler
Donating Member

Postby TheOtherSean » Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:56 pm

I am building a 6'6"W x 9'6"L x 6'3"H wooden canned ham on the Northern Tool 5 x 8. The only modification I made from trailer frame instruction was to mount the axle back about a foot from original position. The floor is 3/4" ply that overhangs about 9" in each direction, and is reinforced underneath the perimeter by 2x4's. It is just barely campable at this point, and I have towed it about 300 miles. It seems fine so far. I plan to start a build thread for it later this week.

One thing I would caution about is making sure all the nuts and bolts are snugged down both before you start the build, and before departing for the first time. I had them pretty tight on trailer assembly, but my initial camper build on the trailer ran into problems, and it was a few years before the I got around to building the current camper. In the mad rush to get out for our trip, I somehow missed going back and checking the nuts and bolts, as I discovered to my misfortune along the way. Definitely make sure you have them nice and tight. Check periodically along the way to make sure nothing loosens up, and carry something with you to tighten them up if need be.

After the first problem, I tightened up everything up until it was quite snug, but after about 1200 miles one of the bolts holding the coupler to the tongue had loosened up, and around 2000 miles I noticed one of the lug nuts missing from the wheel. So give the trailer a once-over whenever possible, and carry something to tighten things up if necessary.
TheOtherSean
The 300 Club

Postby John61CT » Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:11 pm

Loctite, maybe even Red
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby TheOtherSean » Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:13 pm

John61CT wrote:Loctite, maybe even Red

Thanks for the recommendation. I actually had purchased a tube of it, and was planning to use some on some of the bolts (but not the lug bolts!) when I would snugged them up after getting it campable. I'll put more details in my eventual build journal, but long story short get enough sleep, or coordination, judgment and memory can all really suffer.
TheOtherSean
The 300 Club

Postby veedabowlu » Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:53 pm

TheOtherSean wrote: The floor is 3/4" ply that overhangs about 9" in each direction, and is reinforced underneath the perimeter by 2x4's. It is just barely campable at this point, and I have towed it about 300 miles. It seems fine so far.

Can you share some pictures of this?

As for the Loctite..."Loctite threadlocker blue is designed to easily be replaceable with common tools, whereas red is a more permanent fix". I only use red Loctite when repair manuals recommend it, otherwise I go thru blue Loctite like water... OR use lock washers OR use nylon lock nuts.
veedabowlu
Teardrop Inspector

Postby DrewsBrews » Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:02 am

I took a HF super duty kit (4x8) that I got on craigslist years ago and used the rails as steel stock to reconfigure to a 5x10 frame via cutting\welding\stitching together to make longer rails. The middle 4 cross bars are added 2"x1/8" hot roll steel angle. Used a NT axle appropriate for 5ft frame (think it was 58-59" spring centers). Used the same tongue bars welded to a HF 50deg A-frame coupler. Springs (and I think the hanger kit) from trucksprings.com 700lb(ea) double eye. Still using 12" wheels with radial ST tires.

Floor overhangs the front corners.

I imagine something could be done in a bolt together situation, though would probably need to take a bit of a different approach... Attaching the tongue might be tricky.
DrewsBrews
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets