Packing HF bearings

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Packing HF bearings

Postby EZ » Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:55 am

I repacked the bearings on my Harbor Freight 1175# trailer with 12" wheels last week (to get rid of the cheap grease they come packed in). I squeezed and rubbed and forced the grease in the bearing and covered it and stuck it in. Oh jeez, I hope Ira doesn't read that last sentance. I was trying to decide whether or not to use the zerk fitting to fill the hub. Doesn't seem to make much sense, I mean does that grease really find it's way to the bearing? I did fill the hub on my HF boat trailer (8" wheels) but that gets submerged. Did I do a proper repack?
:NC

Ed
EZ
Donating Member

Postby Arne » Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:44 am

I would say so.... Filling the entire hub on a tear with grease makes little sense...

I wash the bearing out completely, then stuff it into the grease bucket.. I take it out and work the grease in as best I can... the put a ring of grease around the outside of the bearing and put it back in.....

I think one of those bearing packers would be nice, but have not bought one... would be another messy item to store, and I'd need a grease gun filled with wheelbearing grease...

I have thought about a zip lock bag filled with grease, and a golf ball to fill the bearing hole and then put the bearing in the opening and squeeze the bag.. have not done this either, but am thinking.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby engled » Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:43 am

On this page you will find out how to re-pack bearing the "old fashion way" I've doing it this way for years with good results YMMV.

http://www.automedia.com/Servicing/Whee ... 020901wb/1
engled
Teardrop Advisor

Postby BILLYL » Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:11 am

That's how my Daddy taught me.

Works well

bill
"If your children ever find out how lame you really are, they'll
gonna murder you in your sleep...." Frank Zappa
BILLYL
Donating Member

Postby Joseph » Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:35 pm

Arne wrote:Filling the entire hub on a tear with grease makes little sense...

Maybe so, but I did it anyway. I like knowing there's plenty of grease on the bearings.
I think one of those bearing packers would be nice, but have not bought one... would be another messy item to store, and I'd need a grease gun filled with wheelbearing grease...

They're a lot less messy than a bucket of grease. I really like mine. I carry the grease gun (wrapped in a plastic bag), the bearing packer, replacement bearings, grease seals & a few other odds and ends in a tool box. If need be I can replace burned out bearings on the road.

Joseph
Joseph
Teardrop Pirate

Postby rasp » Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:01 pm

too much grease is just as bad as too little. i have seen a lot of bearing die from over greasing.
packing the bearings like in the article that engled posted the link is the way.
Thinking is more interesting than knowing, but less interesting than looking
rasp
Teardrop Master

Postby Dean Williams » Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:20 pm

I'm curious how too much grease can be bad for bearings? As long as you are not forcing it in through a zerk and blow the seal, how can it hurt? This is the first I've heard of this.
Dean (no, not that Dean. The other Dean.)

...Hooked. Hooked bad.
Dean Williams
Teardrop Master

Postby Nitetimes » Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:11 pm

Dean Williams wrote:I'm curious how too much grease can be bad for bearings? As long as you are not forcing it in through a zerk and blow the seal, how can it hurt?

That's pretty much how.
The other way is that pumping grease in won't push it into your bearings like you do when you pack them so it is really a false sense of security.
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby Dean Williams » Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:24 pm

That's what I was thinking. I've packed a lot of bearings, but as long as the rollers themselves are properly done, I can't see any harm with filling the entire cavity inside the hub with grease, as long as it's not pressurized through a zerk.
That said, all the extra grease won't offer much protection to the bearings if they get hot. If the grease around the rollers liquifies, you will have problems even if there is a gob of grease plastered on the inner hub wall.
Dean (no, not that Dean. The other Dean.)

...Hooked. Hooked bad.
Dean Williams
Teardrop Master

Postby Kevin A » Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:43 pm

Dean Williams wrote:That's what I was thinking. I've packed a lot of bearings, but as long as the rollers themselves are properly done, I can't see any harm with filling the entire cavity inside the hub with grease, as long as it's not pressurized through a zerk.
That said, all the extra grease won't offer much protection to the bearings if they get hot. If the grease around the rollers liquifies, you will have problems even if there is a gob of grease plastered on the inner hub wall.

Dean, I'm with you on this one, I can't imagine how too much grease is going to damage a bearing. Way back when I was in high school, I was taught how to pack a bearing with a blob of grease in the palm of my hand. The instructor also taught us to pack the cavity in the hub, between the bearing races with a liberal amount of grease, as it acts as a heat sink that draws heat away from the bearing races. Without this heat sink, the potential is there to cause severe damage to the wheel bearings.
"Follow me, I'm right behind you"

ImageImage
Kevin A
The other guy

Postby rasp » Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:24 am

when there is too much grease the bearing will run at a higher temp and high temps kill bearings. after running 50 or 60 miles at speed stop and check them, the hub should be cool to the touch. if they are hot then you have the start of a problem.
no more than half a hub of grease is all one needs.
Thinking is more interesting than knowing, but less interesting than looking
rasp
Teardrop Master

Postby Arne » Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:17 am

It isn't that too much grease will hurt, I just don't see how it helps. And when you repack the bearings, it all has to be cleaned out anyway....

That is one problem with bearing buddies... it is more trouble to repack bearings, so many do not... but if water does get in, which it can... there will be a problem...

I see more boat trailers parked beside the road than other types, usually minus one wheel..
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby Geron » Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:25 am

I always packed the hubs for one reason only. Out in the booneys I'd always have a little extra grease -- if needed :roll:

g
If it's not broken, you're not trying hard enough.
Geron
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Jiminsav » Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:30 pm

good Lord have mercy,
do any of you people actually believe the grease your slinging in here..
word.
grease is a hydrocarbon thats solid at room temprature, but does liquify when heated, so thats what keeps the bearing lubed..not the giant blobs of grease.
saying that, as the grease used up by the bearing, new grease has to be there to replace it, so that where the big globs come in, thats also why pumping grease into the zert fitting on a regular basis pays off saving your bearings.
and it's almost impossible to over grease a axle, because the outer bearing doesn't have a seal, so pump grease in till it oozes out the edge of the outer bearing and put the dust cap back on, you'll be set for life.
how do I know this.?
I used to be a flight engineer on a CH-54A skycrane..it has 6 rotor blades hung from a articulated hub..the hub is full of bearings..I had to pump a 5 gallion bucket of Grease, osolating bearing, into the rotor head, and also the tail rotor head, and the servo's and just about every zert fitting it had..
after a good long flight, liquid grease just dripped out of the thing..it was ugly.
Jim in Savannah
If you can read this bumper sticker, my camper fell off.
Jiminsav
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby asianflava » Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:47 pm

Before leaving for IRG, I decided to pack the bearings on the trailer. I did out of paranoia, after reading some horror stories here. Even though I have towed the trailer about 500miles already, I decided to check them.

When I popped the roller bearings out, they were pretty clean. The grease was still red, only the outer edges (big end of the taper) had black goo. Instead of cleaning out the old stuff, I just packed them from the small side until red grease came out the other side. I just wiped out the old stuff from the races, popped the grease covered bearing in. No extra grease, just the grease that was all over the bearings. 4400miles later and the hubs didn't get hot. We did 600 and 800 mile legs on the way home with no problems.

Another important factor is to not overtighten the hub.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Next

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets