Using Half-Axles

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Postby Jiminsav » Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:25 pm

you do not need to put the half shafts on a beam..just weld plates to frame and drill holes in plate, or, do like me..bolt them to a piece of Oak. observe Image
Jim in Savannah
If you can read this bumper sticker, my camper fell off.
Jiminsav
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby jyb-tr20 » Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:02 pm

Hi
Thanks guys
I think we're all barking up the same tree here. I'm probably re-inventing the torsion beam set-up! Only difference over here is that they are BIG and Heavy @ 1000kg [2200 lbs] and are braked, then 3x the price.

cheers
jyb
This time next year I'll know everything!
jyb-tr20
Teardrop Inspector

Postby BrwBier » Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:39 pm

I used half axles for a number of reasons. 1. I think they are cheaper, I paid $193 shipped to my door. 2. I think they are lighter, axles and hubs in one box, so it must have been under 70 lbs. 3. I didn't have wheels and tires yet so I couldn't measure the set back and figure the width. 4. I wanted the under side to be as smooth as possible. 5. I just like them.
Brwbier
BrwBier
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby asianflava » Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:33 pm

BrwBier wrote:I used half axles for a number of reasons. 1. I think they are cheaper, I paid $193 shipped to my door. 2. I think they are lighter, axles and hubs in one box, so it must have been under 70 lbs. 3. I didn't have wheels and tires yet so I couldn't measure the set back and figure the width. 4. I wanted the under side to be as smooth as possible. 5. I just like them.
Brwbier

That's not that much of an advantage.

I think my axle was $240, Should have been $200 but they charged me shipping

I think the whole thing came in at 77#

I did have my wheels and tires when I ordered. Even thoug I had them, it was measure and remeasure to be sure.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Re: Trailer Chassis /Frame

Postby SteveH » Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:19 am

jyb-tr20 wrote:Hi Folks

Hopefully I can answer a few queries as to why my frame is the way it is: -
As soon as possible I will post a pic to demonstrate how the chassis- frame is level with the tow hitch on my Land Rover. The height is 17.5" from the ground to the hitch.
The box section crossmember keeps it all in line. The idea [to me] is that the TD will travel along the road level behind the car.
I do need some extra ground clearance as the Land Rover is a 4x4- the TD will handle 'off-road' better.
Also I'm fitting an 8" 'footwell' so we can sit at a table inside and drink our tea if it's raining- it does sometimes in England ;)

The axles are rated @ 500 kg [ 1100 lbs] pre-drilled with 6 mounting bolts. The half axle assy. is bolted to the pre-drilled plate [u buy them too ready made] that is welded to the X-member.
Without the Box section crossmember it is much more difficult to 'bolt' the half axles accurately into position. Doing it this way felt like I was working with a 'typical' axle [almost like that of a car].
Also the X-member is sized to suit the clearance of the tyre / wheel / fender alignment so that the wheels run properly outside the body of the TD.
Luckily the axle assy. is so far back it will not interfere with the footwell.

Half axles are light - cheap[er] and easily obtained & fitted- [in my opinion]. I won't be riding in the trailer so anything more complicated is unecassary. I really don't want to pull a trailer over 1100 lbs.
I hope this makes sense? :worship:

If not I'll get Andrew to translate! ;)
Cheers
jyb

JYB,

I understand your reasoning for the height now, and it's a good one. Sorry, hope I did not offend....I just could not understand because my desires are different in that my trailer use is all on road and sometimes long distances at high speed.

I too use a truck to pull my teardrop, and it is a relatively high vehicle, but what I did was use a dropped receiver type hitch.
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Chassis

Postby jyb-tr20 » Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:00 pm

Hi SteveH
I see where you are coming from. Honestly there has been no offense taken, I'm happy to see how others do stuff.

A few years ago I built a Motorbike trailer in the same way, and it performed well with 2 bikes tied on. I simply went with what I know works.
The box section under the frame is 40mm squ. [1.57 "] so it's not too high. I will only know for certain when I get the TD finished and hitched up.
I do feel that this is a good method when mounting the axle assembley so that the wheels are running true- relative to each other.
My trailer IS going to sit high anyhow as I have mounted the sides on top of the floor. This is because having a footwell and sitting up insde I felt I needed all the headroom I could possibly get?

We shall see!
Cheers
jyb
This time next year I'll know everything!
jyb-tr20
Teardrop Inspector

Previous

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets