Grease Your Bearings!

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Postby eamarquardt » Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:39 pm

Angib Wrote: Ahhh! Takes me back to the days of my mate's Kawasaki 500 two-stroke triple, the ultimate speed machine of its day with an engine at least twice as powerful as the chassis could handle. That had a plate welded to the frame under the seat with three threaded holes in it - to carry the spark plugs that got you home, since clearly it was too much to expect that one set would get you both there and back.....

Andrew

I only had a 350 triple. Decided if I wasn't going to kill myself (ther front wheel would lift in second gear when you hit the power band) I needed to get rid of it. Didn't need to carry spare plugs as it worked ok.

Cheers.

Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Postby alloffroad » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:54 am

I towed a new-to-me trailer 200 miles last weekend and I made sure to give the bearings a good cleaning and repack. I found that a 10 minute soak in hot water and liquid dish soap (Joy) losened the old greas then I spun them with the garden hose and then imediatly sprayed the with WD-40 to disperse the water then packed them. When I got home with the trailer I checked the spindle and it was not even warm. 8)
alloffroad
Teardrop Advisor

Postby mechmagcn » Thu May 08, 2008 2:00 pm

Trackstriper wrote:G-Force:

What's been your the experience with the oil bath hubs, either original equipment or conversion kits?

I have quite a bit of experience with oil filled hubs on heavy duty trucks, but none on the lighter axles used for light duty trailers. From what I have read, the manufacturers don't recomend the oil filled hubs for occasional use because the oil will run off of the bearings and then they rust. I have pulled hubs from heavy duty trucks and trailers that have sat for years and have yet to find severly rusted bearings, so I think it is a good idea.
Jeff & Micki
53 F100
Mercedes turbo diesel
Teardrop "finished" as if they ever are
You can never be lost if you don't care where you are going!
mechmagcn
Donating Member

Postby Gerdo » Fri May 09, 2008 2:59 am

Right before my 500 mile trip to Salt Lake City I squirted some grease into my TD bearings. It has the grease fitting in the center of the spindle which goes to the inside bearing and pushes the old grease to the outside bearing. I did add till some pushed out the outside bearing. I also jacked up the axle and spun the tire while greasing. I checked the temp of the hubs ar stops and they were cool to the touch.

I have to take a picture of what is left of the utility trailer bearing that went out on me. Not much left, just a few rings.
Gerdo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby starleen2 » Fri May 09, 2008 8:24 am

Glad I read this thread - I pulled off my wheels to grease the bearings and found Minimal grease around the bearings (new trailer) well I cleaned them off real good and cleaned the hubs – replaced with fresh bearing grease. No I tow with confidence. ;) ;)
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby Nitetimes » Fri May 09, 2008 10:46 am

alloffroad wrote:.....I spun them with the garden hose and then imediatly sprayed the with WD-40

I'm not sure exactly what you did here but just a little friendly advice to those of you cleaning and repacking your bearings.
DO NOT spin the bearings after you clean them, bearings should never be spun without lubricant on them it creates minute pitting in the polished surface that you can't see but will eventually lead to premature bearing failure.
This info was from a bearing supplier we had a few years back.
I know it's fun to spin them with an air hose and dry em but you really need to restrain yourself unless you want to find yourself bearing-less along the road some day. Let them air dry and avoid water.
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby bobhenry » Fri May 09, 2008 11:10 am

Nitetimes wrote:
alloffroad wrote:.....I spun them with the garden hose and then imediatly sprayed the with WD-40

I'm not sure exactly what you did here but just a little friendly advice to those of you cleaning and repacking your bearings.
DO NOT spin the bearings after you clean them, bearings should never be spun without lubricant on them it creates minute pitting in the polished surface that you can't see but will eventually lead to premature bearing failure.
This info was from a bearing supplier we had a few years back.
I know it's fun to spin them with an air hose and dry em but you really need to restrain yourself unless you want to find yourself bearing-less along the road some day. Let them air dry and avoid water.

And they will explode

Yeah I'm serious . As a mechanic for a number of years I kept telling the new boy on the block Don't spin them with an air hose. Did he listen ?
After one let go and embedded a chunk of the cage in his cheek and just barely missed his eye HE DID .

Aerosol brake cleaner is the best way to clean them up. It evaporates quickly and leaves no residue.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Previous

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets