wheel offset

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

wheel offset

Postby KA » Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:08 pm

Hi All,
I'm going wheel and tire shopping next week. Is there any reason why a person should choose offset wheels over non-offset wheels? I don't have an axle yet. I'm going to get my wheels and tires (already have fenders) and then order the axle as per previous forum advice. I'm planning to build a 5X8 Benroy style.
Sorry to ask so many questions. There are a lot of gaps in my mechanical education. :oops:
Thanks.
Kris :thinking:
KA
Donating Member

Postby angib » Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:53 am

Most trailer wheels have zero (or very near zero) offset and so that's what most trailer axles have been designed to go with.

If you buy heavily-inset wheels (where the wheel/tyre centreline is set in towards the vehicle's centreline from the wheel mounting surface), you need to check that the inside of the rim will clear the trailing arm on the axle.

Here's an example I did for 'feralxjsc'/Robert showing a 2" inset Jeep 16x7 wheel on a Dexter axle:

Maybe Robert will read this and tell us whether he ever got confirmation from Dexter that this would or wouldn't be a problem.

If you go for a outset wheel, you won't have these difficulties, but you will run the risk of making it impossible to get the wheel/tyre near to the trailer sidewall. This diagram from another thread shows a zero-offset wheel on a minimum-overhang Flexiride axle - if you added 2" of outset to the wheel, you would have a minimum of 4.1" between the frame and the tyre.

I'm sorry if this lot just confuses you, but these are problems you can come up against, particularly if you go choosing wheels on appearance rather than dimensions! If you limit your choice to wheels between 1" outset and 1" inset, you should be OK.

I've said it before, but to help understand all the dimensions on an axle, this pdf from Dexter is really excellent and should be saved on everyone's hard drive: Axle Measurement

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby apratt » Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:01 am

Thank Andrew, I saved the axel measurements onto my hard drive and will also print it out to put in my notes files. :thumbsup:
Arthur,

ASL spoken here
apratt
Gold Donating Member

Postby KA » Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:22 am

Thanks Andrew. This makes sense to me. I'll look for zero offset wheels. Thanks also for your patience in answering all of my questions.
:worship: :)
Kris
KA
Donating Member

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets