newbie question

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

newbie question

Postby Andy Ehle » Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:45 pm

Hi evryone,

I have been searching around the net after seeing a show on the travel channel about trailers. I'm hooked i have to build one. :twisted:
I have decided to use the HF frame to save $. unfortunatly I still have a couple of projects to finish first so I cant start till next year ( maybe sooner).

I have about 10 years home remodeling experience and am currently working as a commercial cabinet maker ( mdf and particle board only supposed to last 5 years) . My Hobby is furniture making so I have the skills and definatly have the tools. I also should be able to scrounge alot from work (you wouldnt believe what we throw away).

It's got to be a woody its all I know and I do so love wood.
Now the Questions.
I am going to build over the sides for extra width and wondered about extending the floor over the front and back of the frame for extra room.

the other thing i am wondering is if anyone has used veneer to cover the outside ( I currently have cherry and oak 4x8 sheets ) and was thinkig of doing the exterior that way.
Andy Ehle
Teardrop Builder

Postby madjack » Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:56 pm

Andy, welcome aboard...that darn Travel Channel is responsible for many of the addictions here 8) ....building out over the frame is no problem using a sub frame...checkout the "generic beroy" plans at the top of this page...the techniques can be applied to most any profile/build...just keep in mind total weight should be no more than 2/3rds of total axle capacity and axle placement for tongue weight/balance...

We'll be here to help you along the way but you will need to take plenty of pictures to show us, since that is what we charge for more advice than you can shake a stick at...we luv da pics 'round here...besides, you will wanna prove ya did it when asked "didja build that yourself"............

madjack 8)

p.s. with your skills we expect to see somethin' special :D ;)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Re: newbie question

Postby angib » Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:16 am

Andy Ehle wrote:I am going to build over the sides for extra width and wondered about extending the floor over the front and back of the frame for extra room.

Andy, welcome.

There's no problem with doing this, but if you extend both length and width, you will need to strengthen up the floor a bit. Compared to the walls, the floor is pretty springy, so if you extend both length and width you risk getting a box that's supported on a trampoline!

Where the galley bulkhead (the vertical panel between the galley and the cabin) crosses the chassis you will get a rigid support and this bulkhead will then hold up the back half of the sidewalls.

At the front you need to build a beam into the floor to stop the front of the sidewalls bouncing up and down - to avoid raising the floor you could fix the beam to the front of the trailer frame and something like a 2x4 on its side (eg, 1.5" vertical x 3.5" horizontal) would be strong enough.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby TRAIL-OF-TEARS » Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:22 am

welcome Andy,
I saw that travel channel show in 2004, I thought those folks were nuts, then found this site and now look what I have. :?

I would think a scaled down version of robs cabin car (profile not inside) would look nice as a tear, you can build over the wheels to get the extra width.
Steve J.

Home built Camp-Inn clone.
GO SPURS GO
TRAIL-OF-TEARS
Donating Member

Veneer

Postby boatbldr » Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:37 pm

I definately would not use cherry, it is a cabinet wood, not an exterior wood. I used it in my '52 pickup bed and it looks wonderful, but as soon as you nick the poly and it gets wet, it turns gray and needs to be sanded down and refinished (it does darken to a beautiful deep red with sun exposure though). Oak is much better for exterior, but again, veneer is a problem with the elements. It would probably hold up OK if you garaged it all the time and only let it get wet on campouts, but if you're going to store it outside it will probably de-laminate in a year or less. I also built a wood boat, exterior is solid mahogany, but even stored in a garage, it needs to be stripped and refinished every 5 years or so. Bottom line is wood is maintenance, it may not bother you, but be forewarned. I personally don't mind the work because of the beauty and compliments I receive.
boatbldr
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Chris C » Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:25 pm

Boatbldr,

I'd venture to say that 99% of the woodies are built with plywood, which has a very thin veneer covering. When properly sealed, they are well protected from the environment. I've never seen properly prepared cabinet grade plywood delaminating in the weather. I'd venture to say that most people who have a woodie will find some way to protect it (i.e. in a garage or under an awning or tent) when it's not in use.

Andy,

That said, you'll have to be sure it is well protected with epoxy or some other penetrating wood sealant, or it will not stand up to the weather.
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Postby Andy Ehle » Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:27 pm

Thank you all for the warm welcome.

The floor I will beef to get it ridgid enough tat doesnt bother me to much.It should be easy enough to stiffen.

To clear things up a bit I will be using cab. grade plywood andwant to cover it with the veneer( my brother had small fire at his work and it got water stained on the short edge about 4 inches up so they were gonna pitch it. Lucky me)I would use some other species for trim to contrast the veneer. I'm not dead set on the cherry its just that I have some.

I have not used epoxy before. I do have exp. with poly,spar varnish, shellac and laquer and the equipment to spray or brush it on.

I know the side walls will be ridgid ( I have built ALOT of walls at work that are made useing ply for the studs that is 1 inch wide and skinned with 1/2" particle board which I will Not be doing)

I find myself thinking about this at work all the time and may have to start sooner than planned it just looks like to much fun to build ( I already have family wanting to borrow it :thinking: not sure about that yet maybe help them build one.

thanks again everyone
Andy

p.s. It will be stored in a garage ( temp controlled unless doors are open :D
Andy Ehle
Teardrop Builder

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets