Off Road Axle

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Postby madjack » Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:16 am

BB, I wasn't knockin' ya...there is ton of good stuff and a couple of tons of non-usable stuff and the search feature is clunky to say the least...as to pics...you/wife/kids/pets/cars/yard/house/neighbor all work as well... :D ;)
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby alaska teardrop » Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:52 pm

madjack wrote:...BB, the best known practitioner of the metal wall framing is "Alaska Teardrop" (a.k.a. Fred, the worlds furthest north teardrop builder)...you might wanna drop him a line if he doesn't pipe in here.
madjack 8)
    8) :shake hands: Piping in here.
    Broncoboy,
    It will be interesting to see what your design will be. A metal space frame is adaptable to probably any size, shape, axle or covering material. The Alaska Teardrop has 'closed end structural rivets' attaching the aluminum panels that create a semi-monocoque. I've often thought of building a woody the same way. Rivet the outer wood panels and cover the rivet rows with wood trim like the CabinCar.
    Fred :peace:
Northern Lite Traveler design: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=51991
Minimalist torsion axle frame: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=12220
Alaska Teardrop photo gallery: http://tnttt.com/gallery/album.php?album_id=2014
Glampette photo gallery; gallery/album.php?album_id=2983&sk=t&sd=d&st=0
alaska teardrop
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Broncoboy » Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:02 pm

WOW, that's a neat design "Fred" :thumbsup:

I think i'm gonna build it up with a wood frame insted of medal because of weight, the lamanate techniqe looked cool but i don't know if it would be strong enough. I have pics of my design, profile, as well as the frame I'm gonna weld together to go under it.

The goal is to make an off-road teardrop that has some means of batheing (mabye.. hot water? :D ) , a porta poddy, bed for two, and a galley. I'm only 18 so money is kinda tight, though i probably dont' have the responsabilitys you have with your money :picklejuice: . Any suggestions/ cratiqieing (is that how u spell it?) would be much appriciated
GOT MUD???
Broncoboy
Teardrop Inspector

Postby madjack » Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:10 pm

BB, you say you uwant a shower and a porta potti...have you considered one of these options from Cabela's...much simpler than a built in, especially if you are doing a lot of off road, boonie camping...
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Broncoboy » Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:13 pm

I didn't know they made the sun purified one in a porda poddy version... :o THanks for the link. email me for photos, i can't get them on here ( I'm deffenetely not techno savy)
GOT MUD???
Broncoboy
Teardrop Inspector

Postby madjack » Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:43 pm

BB, checkout this thread for info on posting pics here.................. 8)
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Broncoboy » Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:50 pm

Here are some "sketches" of my TD

Floor plan:

Frame:

Profile:
GOT MUD???
Broncoboy
Teardrop Inspector

Previous

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets