brakes

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

brakes

Postby KA » Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:48 pm

Hi All,
My car owner's manual says it can tow 1000 pounds without brakes. I think my 5 x 8 Benroy style trailer with front box and bikes will go over that weight a little bit.
If I decide to add brakes, there is a whole new world of questions for my novice brain. So, for starters I'll ask for advice.
Should I add brakes? What kind? Where should I buy them?
Thanks.
Kris :thinking:
KA
Donating Member

Postby madjack » Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:10 pm

Kris...situational awareness and common sense will probably get you by with NO brakes but if recommended by the manufacturer then it is probably best to add them...you will want to get electric brakes, which are ordered as part of the axle package when you order them and you will need a brake controller for your car...I would HIGHLY recommend the proportional controllers for the smoothest stops and least hassle setting it up...the link I gave you has all three types of controllers shown and an explanation of differences at the bottom of the page...
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby KA » Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:01 pm

Thanks Madjack. I'll continue researching.
Kris
KA
Donating Member

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets