Welding Weekend..does this look...OK, maybe not perfect?

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Welding Weekend..does this look...OK, maybe not perfect?

Postby Juneaudave » Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:06 pm

Woohoo!!! Welding weekend. I'm using a 115 buzz box and have welding experience that amounts to only "trial by error and exceptional grinding ability". Here's my setup and first joint...think it will work? and any suggestions from anyone who hasn't had their welds fail? 2" x 1/8 box with 6013 3/32 stick. I know it's not the most beautiful work, but I think I'm getting good penetration....suggestions would be welcome!!

Juneaudave
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby mikeschn » Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:49 pm

I'm not a welder, so perhaps you, or someone can explain how you know if you are getting good weld penetration?

Obviously looking at the height of the bead doesn't tell you anything. And you don't exactly want to cut thru the weld with a band saw to see what it looks like in there. So short of x-raying it, how do you know if it's a good weld?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Juneaudave » Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:24 pm

Well, gee...I don't really know myself, that's why I'm looking for pointers.... but...I turned up the heat on the buzz box, made sure that my welding puddle was stitching up the joint and the metal has a nice rosey glow extending beyond the edge of the weld pool, and at the end of the weld, looked for a concave depression as opposed to a hump where it looks like your just globbing on metal. But that's just a guess from one who is clueless!!!...I did beat on some practice joints with a sledge to see if I could bust them apart. I'm pretty sure a professional weldor would laugh at my attempts!!!! But what the heck...its all in the learning.

:)
Juneaudave

Postby Steve_Cox » Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:50 pm

Hi Dave,

I've got no comments about your welds. The guys that really know will be along shortly. I just wanted to say It's nice to see some trailer work going on :thumbsup: :lol: :lol:
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby BigDaddyCool » Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:01 pm

need more heat! not much penetration from the look of it :roll:

before welding clean everything and you can grind a little angle both side of your joint for extra penetration ;)

115V rig are not powerfull enough

not perfect but not super bad 8)
BigDaddyCool
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Broncoboy » Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:20 pm

115V rig are not powerfull enough

I agree with "bigdaddycool" your welder isn't hot enough, or your going a little fast with the stick. grinding the edge of the weld deffenetly helps with penetration.[/quote]
GOT MUD???
Broncoboy
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Juneaudave » Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:33 pm

Where the heck were you guys last weekend???? (G##%^@##--#%!!)

:x :x :x

Too late...I'm pretty much done unless I start cutting it back to pieces and re-doing it. Seems pretty strong from the sledge hammer test...and hopefully I'm so overbuilt it won't matter.

Geezzz. given my welding skills, maybe I ought to go for a bolt together frame next time!!!

:thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

BTW.. on each joint, I did bevel one side halfway on the 1/8 thick steel...and that box was cranked up to the max. Even if the joints bust...it was a hoot for me, and I really, really enjoyed fussing with building a trailer myself!!!
Juneaudave

Postby Broncoboy » Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:32 am

For your first welds your doin great, you should of seen some of mine :oops:
They arn't horrible, i'm sure it'll hold, expecally if your overbuilt to began with. mabye goin slower next time will get more penetration, i'm not sure. atleast your buildin something :applause:
GOT MUD???
Broncoboy
Teardrop Inspector

Postby AmyH » Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:06 am

If it makes you feel any better, I had to grind down a couple of my welds and redo them. :? I did grind bevels on mine to help increase penetration, and I really think that method worked out great. Even with the bevels I still had a couple weld beads that I didn't feel completely comfortable with, so I took the grinder to them and redid them. This part of the build was definitely the scariest for me. Not being a seasoned weldor, I was really worried I wouldn't do a good job and the poor tear frame would start falling apart on me as I pulled it down the highway. :shock: I took it out for a test run around the block recently, and it pulled straight and beautiful! :thumbsup: I am sure yours will be totally fine Dave, so no worries. ;)

Amy
Amy
"...follow humbly whereever and to whatever abyss Nature leads, or else you shall learn nothing." T.H. Huxley

Photo Log
Camping Trips with the Tear
AmyH
*The 300 Club

Postby BigDaddyCool » Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:42 pm

remember that you can always grind everything and re-weld it...

but, for a 115V machine they look pretty good if you ask me, 115V is just not enough.

by the way i'm a certified welder/fabricator ;)
BigDaddyCool
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Juneaudave » Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:51 pm

Thanks Big...sounds like I need to take a step back, find a 220 v welder somewhere, grind the welds down, and re-weld it. That shouldn't take long....and practice does make perfect!! I do have a 220 50amp circuit in the garage so that will help.

You know...I really did have fun with the welding part...I guess I'm in for a bit more fun!!!

:) :) :) :)
Juneaudave

Postby BigDaddyCool » Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:28 pm

find a used or new lincoln AC-225 or Weld/Mig-Pack 220v....

just bought one for my self Weld Pak 220V work like a charm and parts available at H.D. ...
BigDaddyCool
Teardrop Advisor

Postby kerryd » Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:14 am

For piece of mind , weld a guset in the corner . Kerry
kerryd
Teardrop Master

Postby kerryd » Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:30 am

Hey again , if you do find another welder that says it pulls 50 amps . I think that means wide open .So if you plug it your dryer , you schould be find . you are only welding 2 inches at a time . You could try 6011 too . Little more penatation , little more spater . If the 115 buzz box is pluged into an extention it loses alot of its power . Use the the shortest and thickest cord you got . Kerry
kerryd
Teardrop Master

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets