12 inch wheels

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

12 inch wheels

Postby CHUCKLEHEAD69 » Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:54 pm

did anyone ever have problems running 4.80x12 inch wheels.i already bought them for the simple fact u can get them anywhere while travling. what does the hf trailers come with? i know alot of people are running them.Image
JUDE ------- "Laissez les bons temps rouler. let the good times roll"
CHUCKLEHEAD69
Teardrop Master

Postby surveytech » Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:32 pm

Hey didnt ray and debbie just drive from new york to alaska and back with 12's on their cubby?

Lots of people using that size wheel.
surveytech
Donating Member

Postby CHUCKLEHEAD69 » Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:43 pm

thanks for that info serveytech. i was just wandering.have the same thing on my boat trailer, but i dont go that far with it. well that sounds good to me.a trip like that makes me feel better about my choice.
Last edited by CHUCKLEHEAD69 on Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CHUCKLEHEAD69
Teardrop Master

Re: 12 inch wheels

Postby ssrjim » Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:43 pm

CHUCKLEHEAD69 wrote:did anyone ever have problems running 4.80x12 inch wheels.i already bought them for the simple fact u can get them anywhere while travling. what does the hf trailers come with?

5.30x12
ssrjim
1000 Club
1000 Club

Spare tires

Postby Finntec » Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:05 pm

Yes, we just went to AK and back to NY. We started with a single spare. I bought a second one just in case on our third day. I am glad to say they are both brand new. I am really amaised at what they can go though. The tread is down a bit, but I think they will make it through the season. We put about 11,500 miles on the tires this year. Maybe 200 of those miles on dirt, gravel, and mud. I ran them at 10 PSI under the max air pressure. -Ray & Debby
Former owner of a '05 Homebuilt TD & '87 Scamp
2012 Home built 10' Teardrop.
Finntec
The 300 Club

Re: Spare tires

Postby surveytech » Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:02 am

RayandDebby wrote:Yes, we just went to AK and back to NY. We started with a single spare. I bought a second one just in case on our third day. I am glad to say they are both brand new. I am really amaised at what they can go though. The tread is down a bit, but I think they will make it through the season. We put about 11,500 miles on the tires this year. Maybe 200 of those miles on dirt, gravel, and mud. I ran them at 10 PSI under the max air pressure. -Ray & Debby

That is quite an endorsement for the 12 in wheels.
I feel good about mine now!

Any trailer or bearing problems during the trip?

Thanks,
Walter
surveytech
Donating Member

Postby CHUCKLEHEAD69 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:28 am

thanks ray and debbie for the info. i wont be putting that many miles on mine in 4 years so mine would dry rot before that.i love the fact that u can get one (a spare) anywhere(wal marts and any good sporting good store)thanks again JUDE
CHUCKLEHEAD69
Teardrop Master

Postby Finntec » Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:24 am

Walter,
No bearing problems. I had them repacked before I left.

I had two trailer problems though:
The first was when I hit a basketball size frost heave at 60mph going uphill. The trailer went up in the air about 2 feet. When it hit, it bounced causing one of the springs to flex and pop out of its hanger. The bolt had to be taken off and we had to slide the leaf spring back into the hanger. The car missd the bump, but the trailer didnt. This was totally my fault. It came out of nowhere, and I learned to be on constant high alert after that.

The second problem was with the fenders. They cracked where they are bolted to the frame. They started to fall off at 11:00pm, 60 miles from home. I played NASCAR pit crew, and used duct tape to secure them and made it home with no problems.

I have a Carry-On trailer. Some are welded, mine is the bolt together kit. The fenders on the welded frames have a reinforced center bar which is not on mine. That stablizes the fenders and makes a big difference. -Ray
FYI
I checked around while on the road for spare tires. They are so popular you really can get them in most places. But then again if you break down in a remote place you may be waiting for help for a long while.
Finntec
The 300 Club

Postby sid » Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:38 am

RayandDebby,

Thanks for the great info on the 12" wheels. There are a LOT of us running all over the country with those.
sid n side
"If you're going through hell, keep going......" Winston Churchhill

Side by Side - completed October 2008
sid
Donating Member

Postby surveytech » Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:15 pm

RayandDebby wrote:Walter,
No bearing problems. I had them repacked before I left.

I had two trailer problems though:
The first was when I hit a basketball size frost heave at 60mph going uphill. The trailer went up in the air about 2 feet. When it hit, it bounced causing one of the springs to flex and pop out of its hanger. The bolt had to be taken off and we had to slide the leaf spring back into the hanger. The car missd the bump, but the trailer didnt. This was totally my fault. It came out of nowhere, and I learned to be on constant high alert after that.

The second problem was with the fenders. They cracked where they are bolted to the frame. They started to fall off at 11:00pm, 60 miles from home. I played NASCAR pit crew, and used duct tape to secure them and made it home with no problems.

I have a Carry-On trailer. Some are welded, mine is the bolt together kit. The fenders on the welded frames have a reinforced center bar which is not on mine. That stablizes the fenders and makes a big difference. -Ray
FYI
I checked around while on the road for spare tires. They are so popular you really can get them in most places. But then again if you break down in a remote place you may be waiting for help for a long while.

Thanks for the info. I have the Carry-on trailer as well with the 12 inch wheels. I know that I will never make a trip of that magnitude because after about two hours of driving I'm ready to call it a day. :D

The weld on fenders may be better than bolt on but I did have one of those welds crack on my way home after the purchase. The trailer was bouncing alot while empty! It did have the extra center brace on it which kept the fender in place. I have since cut them off and made my own wooden fenders. I was after a different look.

Another question if you dont mind. I see that you have a spare tire carrier and a swivel jack on the tongue. I dont suppose they have the same mounting pattern so that they could be bolted on the tongue with one set of bolts. Whatcha think?

Thanks for all the info. Post pics when u can.

Walter
surveytech
Donating Member

Postby Finntec » Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:31 pm

Of course they couldnt have the same bolt pattern. Nothing was that easy on my build.
I fixed the fenders today. I will replace them with fiberglass ones soon. Glad I could help. Hope to have the pics tomorrow.
Finntec
The 300 Club

Postby Artificer » Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:18 pm

We've pulled our small trailer (4'x 8' stake sided) about 12,000 miles with moderate loads (500-1000lbs) Its rated for 2000 lbs and has 8" tires. I check the hubs occasionally to see if they are getting warm. Never have. I'd say 12" wheels aren't a problem, as long as you repack the hubs initially, and once ever year or two.

I bought one of the HF 40" x 48" trailer kits for either an ultralight TD or a single cannoe trailer. In the instructions it mentions repacking the hubs when they are removed, or if they need to be assembled. Kind of interesting that the brand new trailer needs it before assembly. Oh, well... It was only $106 for the kit.
Artificer
Teardrop Master

Postby Q » Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:07 pm

My tear had the standard 12" tires for the first few thousand miles. They worked OK but were rather rough riding and didn't last long. I replaced them with 12" radial car tires (Jupiter made by Kuhmo) and it made a huge difference in how it rides. No visible wear in over 5000 miles.

Q
Q
Teardrop Master

Postby surveytech » Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:19 am

Q wrote:My tear had the standard 12" tires for the first few thousand miles. They worked OK but were rather rough riding and didn't last long. I replaced them with 12" radial car tires (Jupiter made by Kuhmo) and it made a huge difference in how it rides. No visible wear in over 5000 miles.

Q

Good info there Q.
I see that Tire Rack has Kumho Powerstar 758 tires for $23.00 each in a 155/80-12 size.
Load rating 908 lb at 35psi.
Bet those ride fairly well.
surveytech
Donating Member

Postby hammer & tongs » Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:03 am

Chuck;

I have the same Carry On trailer (from TSC). built a Mac-Built type on it. Registered before interior complete at 780#. It probably comes closer to 900# complete and loaded.
I have made two trips of about 1700 miles others of 200-300 miles with nary a bobble and tires show virtually no wear.
I am building a second one on the same trailer (but lengthened 2').
I expect it will be commensurately heavier, but I am still confident in it .

Being a hunter, I do use the trailer off road sometimes. This is about the only place where I believe 15" wheels would be helpful...with their greater ground clearance.

One hint with the Carry on trailer..don't use their low mounted, cheapie license bracket...you'll lose your plate ( I did )..Go ahead and mount your plate on the camper body..my 2 cts..
" By whose stripes you were healed ."
(1 Peter 2:24b )
hammer & tongs
Teardrop Master

Next

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets