12 inch wheels

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Postby surveytech » Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:53 am

hammer & tongs wrote: One hint with the Carry on trailer..don't use their low mounted, cheapie license bracket...you'll lose your plate ( I did )..Go ahead and mount your plate on the camper body..my 2 cts..

Yeah isnt that the truth! Chucked mine right away. Wanted plate on rear hatch anyway.
surveytech
Donating Member

Postby Finntec » Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:02 am

I lost my licence plate too. It came off the second trip of the year with only 450 miles on the trailer. Replaced it with the metal one from Teardrop fix it shop and mounted it on the body. It has worked well.
Former owner of a '05 Homebuilt TD & '87 Scamp
2012 Home built 10' Teardrop.
Finntec
The 300 Club

Re: Spare tires

Postby Joseph » Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:42 pm

RayandDebby wrote:Yes, we just went to AK and back to NY.

I guess that puts to rest the issue of whether "itty-bitty twelve inch wheels" are suitable for long-distance travel. Way to go! :thumbsup:

Joseph
Joseph
Teardrop Pirate

Re: Spare tires

Postby Dean Williams » Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:16 pm

Joseph wrote:I guess that puts to rest the issue of whether "itty-bitty twelve inch wheels" are suitable for long-distance travel. Way to go!

Joseph

No kidding! My tear is built on the HF 40x48 trailer with the 4.80x8" wheels/tires. Just got back from the IRG on a trip of over 2000 miles, and have put a total of nearly 5000 miles on it the last two months.
No problems with tires or bearings. I checked the bearing hubs for heat every couple hundred miles and they were never more than just warm, (and I was traveling in 100+ deg weather down to the IRG).

I would repack the HF bearings as soon as they come out of the box, though. I did on mine, and found a lot of machine filings in the new factory grease. Those folks have a bit to learn about packing bearings themselves!
Dean (no, not that Dean. The other Dean.)

...Hooked. Hooked bad.
Dean Williams
Teardrop Master

Previous

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets