Chosing an axle,,hey theres a pic in trade for awnsers,,,,,

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Chosing an axle,,hey theres a pic in trade for awnsers,,,,,

Postby scopeaddict » Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:27 pm

went to a local shop who sells camping and trailer "stuff"
he can order me an axle kit ,,,,yippieeee,,
i told him i wanted it for a 60inch wide frame, and he asked what i wanted for "tire centers"

dammit, isnt any of it SIMPLE
im going for 4.5 bolt circle and hopefully going to use my jeep rims,

what do i have to do to get the tire-centers????

thanks johnp

oh heres what weve ben using,

Deep Sky imaging and need a warm place to curl up,
Have 4-angry squirrels powering a Jeep YJ,
will travel, eventualy,,grin
scopeaddict
Teardrop Builder

Postby mikeschn » Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:33 pm

Typically when you tow a teardrop people ask, do you really sleep in that?

I've gotta know, what do people ask when they see that tiny thang? Does it pop up and out into a teardrop? :lol:

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby madjack » Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:47 pm

John, nice little gear hauler...to get the proper axle, you need 2 very important measurements...first is the frame measurment...the second is "hubface to hubface"....since most trailer wheels have 0 off set, the tire centers on the wheel hubface, hence the dealers question about "centers"
...lay your tire(mounted) face down on the ground and put a straight edge across the tire and measure down to the mounting face of the tire
...double this for both sides and add about 2"s for tire/side clearance
...add that number to the frame width to get hubface (or centers) to hubface size
...if you are using a torsion axle, you will need to account for the room needed if your sidewall is coming down over the frame
...should be at least as clear as mud now...
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby scopeaddict » Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:07 pm

i had an older lady,70's vintage ask me if i could make one for her garden tractor,,,,,,, :lol:
ive gotten alot of grins on the highway, with the boat on top of it, and the oars strapped to the sides,

""I've gotta know, what do people ask when they see that tiny thang? Does it pop up and out into a teardrop? :lol: ""

nope no popup, just a box, to put the gear in, and i also strap a 16ft whineglass wherry onto the top of it, hence the extended tougne,

ive had it full of 1 man rocks, though, thats alot of rocks/weight,
and i pulled it all home, didnt split the seams,,grin,
but the last scope-show was on tablemnt in ellensburg wa, rough forest road, high climb, couldent keep the trailer on the ground, deflated to 20pds, and crawled,
it was hot and hence my wanting a tear, a REAL-TOY-BOX, with A/C,
but it tows on the pavement like its not there,

Glad you got a chuckle out of it,

Mike...[/quote]
scopeaddict
Teardrop Builder

Postby scopeaddict » Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:15 pm

...if you are using a torsion axle, you will need to account for the room needed if your sidewall is coming down over the frame
...should be at least as clear as mud now...
madjack 8)[/quote]

im as thick as mud,,,, :(
am i correct that with these,

1,400 LB PAIR OF HALF TORSION AXLES WITH 5-4.5" HUBS

i can adjust the outward mounting to clear my wheels/tires, and frame??
(id like to use my old stock jeep rims,)

thanks for your patence

johnp
scopeaddict
Teardrop Builder

Postby madjack » Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:57 pm

John, not real experienced with the stubbies, so I don't know if they can be ordered with the addtional room needed preset at the factory but you shuld be able to adjust them before mounting to take care of the problem...ALSO, since you are planing an off roader, I assume a fairly serious down angle on them for ground clearance and this will help in that dept as well...watchout for the backspacing of the Jeep wheels when you figure axle position...
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby jagular7 » Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:04 pm

My plan also, to use similar style rims that are on my TJ also.
Though I suggest that since you are looking at the same wheels, look into adding onto the hub a backing plate for a damaged/broken/swapped out Dana 35 rear axle. Take the backing plate, parking brake and drum setup and swap them. You'll enjoy a parking brake.
With a parking brake, you will only need a single point at front and rear for a jack since the camper won't 'roll' on the tires. Otherwise, you'll have to lift the camper to relieve the pressure off the tires enough to keep it from rolling.
Mike
Jagular
Lenexa, KS
jagular7
The 300 Club

Postby scopeaddict » Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:55 pm

The back roads ill travel with the trailer attached to the jeep would only be rough dirt roads, with washboards, and potholes, and graded gravel,
the ugly roads would be for just the jeep, and havin fun,
most places i go could be driven to with my wifes dodge-neon,

johnp

madjack wrote:John, not real experienced with the stubbies, so I don't know if they can be ordered with the addtional room needed preset at the factory but you shuld be able to adjust them before mounting to take care of the problem...ALSO, since you are planing an off roader, I assume a fairly serious down angle on them for ground clearance and this will help in that dept as well...watchout for the backspacing of the Jeep wheels when you figure axle position...
madjack 8)
scopeaddict
Teardrop Builder

Postby angib » Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:12 am

johnp,

I am sorry to say that you're gonna have to learn about axle measurements, because otherwise you may end up with your frame running through your wheels - which doesn't work well!

You might want to look at these diagrams on axle measurement which might answer some questions - but may also show there are many other questions!

If you want to use Jeep TJ wheels, you have a particular problem, as I believe their 7x15 wheels have a large backspacing of 5.25". This is the best info I can find from the web, but you need to double check all this yourself.

If you have found 1,400lb rubber torsion half-axles, that capacity sounds like they're Flexiride units - which have the advantage that you can alter the start angle and so the ride height.

The diagram below shows a Flexiride half-axle fitted with a Jeep wheel/tyre. It is a section through the middle of the wheel, looking downwards.

Because of the big backspacing on the Jeep wheel, it is actually overlapping the half-axle - so to keep the tyre away from the trailer body, you would have to cantilever the half-axle out beyond the trailer frame. This can be done with a half-axle (unlike with a full axle), but it would be an unusual design.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Nitetimes » Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:49 am

I would stay away from the torqflex's if you do a lot of rough roads. Spring axle will give you better service and is easier to repair if you should break something. Less to figure out for hubs and such too. 8) 8)
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

THANK YOU

Postby scopeaddict » Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:38 am

OK, so shred the jeep wheels, ill go with the standard trailer rims,
same bolt pattern,

johnp

angib wrote:johnp,

I am sorry to say that you're gonna have to learn about axle measurements, because otherwise you may end up with your frame running through your wheels - which doesn't work well!

You might want to look at these diagrams on axle measurement which might answer some questions - but may also show there are many other questions!

If you want to use Jeep TJ wheels, you have a particular problem, as I believe their 7x15 wheels have a large backspacing of 5.25". This is the best info I can find from the web, but you need to double check all this yourself.

If you have found 1,400lb rubber torsion half-axles, that capacity sounds like they're Flexiride units - which have the advantage that you can alter the start angle and so the ride height.

The diagram below shows a Flexiride half-axle fitted with a Jeep wheel/tyre. It is a section through the middle of the wheel, looking downwards.

Because of the big backspacing on the Jeep wheel, it is actually overlapping the half-axle - so to keep the tyre away from the trailer body, you would have to cantilever the half-axle out beyond the trailer frame. This can be done with a half-axle (unlike with a full axle), but it would be an unusual design.

Andrew
scopeaddict
Teardrop Builder

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets