what did yall use

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

what did yall use

Postby CHUCKLEHEAD69 » Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:21 pm

does everyone use the black tar stuff under the frame or is there another way to go?
JUDE ------- "Laissez les bons temps rouler. let the good times roll"
CHUCKLEHEAD69
Teardrop Master

Postby sid » Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:30 pm

Asphaslt Emulsion, available at Home Depot in the roofing department. It's not very messy...
sid n side
"If you're going through hell, keep going......" Winston Churchhill

Side by Side - completed October 2008
sid
Donating Member

Postby Sonetpro » Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:40 pm

I used acrylic laquer. Or Boat bottom paint. I figured if it could seal a boat that sit's in the water all the time it should do a good job of protecting the bottom of my tear.
}><)))'> ~--------------·´¯) SteveT
You don't know what the limit's are until you take it there.ImageImageImage
Sonetpro
Site Admin

Postby CHUCKLEHEAD69 » Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:51 pm

that what im thinking,something like that and pt ply should last for a long time
CHUCKLEHEAD69
Teardrop Master

Postby Timmah » Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:35 pm

Sonetpro wrote:I used acrylic laquer. Or Boat bottom paint. I figured if it could seal a boat that sit's in the water all the time it should do a good job of protecting the bottom of my tear.

The only problem I can foresee with that is that boats don't usually have rocks kicked up at it normally. I'd be afraid of it chipping away.
Just my Spin,

Timmah
Timmah
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Dean Williams » Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:52 pm

I used NAPA spray on rubberized undercoating. Not messy as long as you keep your fingers out of it 'til it dries. Took two cans of it to cover a 4x8 surface with a thick coat. It's about $7 a can.
Dean (no, not that Dean. The other Dean.)

...Hooked. Hooked bad.
Dean Williams
Teardrop Master

Postby madjack » Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:35 pm

...4 coats of MinWax ClearShield thinned around 10% and sprayed on...it is a heavy bodied outdoor rated polyurethane and since it soaked into the ply, I am not worried about it chipping...or anything else for that matter........
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby CHUCKLEHEAD69 » Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:40 pm

madjack how well would fiberglass resin hold up, i thinking pertty good.just getting different ideas here also mj do u have insulation on top of that poly clear
CHUCKLEHEAD69
Teardrop Master

Postby madjack » Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:50 pm

Jude, not sure but I think the Glen used a thinned fibergalss resin(maybe)...the key is to use something thin enough to allow it to soak in....look at Doug Hodders tears...he use fiberglass resin on his outside and others do as well so it should work...

...the only insulation we have is in the roof....my figuring is that a 4/6" foam mattress is insulaton enough on the floor...after all look at a Camp-Inn, built way up in Wisconsin...that is the only place they use insulation...by the way they spray the bottom with a spar varnish........
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby doug hodder » Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:51 pm

There is a penetrating epoxy resin...although I haven't used it...I just did mine in oil based black paint...my original 49 Kit was done that way and I know it's still on the road, but then I live in a dry environment...I think that an epoxy would be overkill and expensive to coat the bottom...just my opinion...Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby SteveH » Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:57 pm

Epoxy will thin nicely with regular alcohol and then can be applied like a paint. It will soak into the wood and act as a sealer...a very good sealer. Modelers do it all the time to the insides of model airplanes to seal them from any fuel leaks that might happen. Might be a little expensive to do the bottom of a tear that way, however.
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby CHUCKLEHEAD69 » Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:59 pm

down here i can get a gallon with hardner for 22 dollars(18for resin 4 for hardner)i seen some of the prices yall have it would be costly that way.but im looking at the same price as a good oil based paint.plus im doing the whole ttt. so i guess ill just do the bottom too.thanks for letting pick yalls brains
jude :)
Last edited by CHUCKLEHEAD69 on Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CHUCKLEHEAD69
Teardrop Master

Postby dwgriff1 » Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:39 pm

I covered the bottom of my build with epoxy resin, then house paint.

In the process of moving it around, before I attatched the axle, I punched a hole, which I will repair with epoxy and paint!! My build is frameless and the bottom panel is just 1/8" thick.

My plan is to regularly inspect the bottom, as well as the edges of the plywood I cannot easily see, and repair as necessary. I suspect an old hunk of mirror will come in handy for the inspection process.

I am not worried about wood getting wet if it can easily dry out, but trapped water is bad water.

dave
dwgriff1
500 Club

Postby Dale M. » Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:54 pm

Anybody try having the floor piece sprayed with Urathane (Rhino Liner) at places that do truck beds and other items... Have seem 4x4 frames and Rock Crawler frames and bodys sprayed with it, so it would probably work well for floor (underside) of TD.

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby asianflava » Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:40 am

Dale M. wrote:Anybody try having the floor piece sprayed with Urathane (Rhino Liner) at places that do truck beds and other items... Have seem 4x4 frames and Rock Crawler frames and bodys sprayed with it, so it would probably work well for floor (underside) of TD.

Dale

Roly did because he had a hookup. He said that it is heavy though.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Next

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets