Help-ready to place axle order

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Help-ready to place axle order

Postby KA » Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:23 pm

Hi,
I'm ready to order my axle and am totally insecure. So, I'd like to post my plan and get your feedback before I make the scary call.

Here's the data:
Wheels are 15 inch with 5 bolt 4.5 pattern.
My outside chassis width is 57.5 (accomodates siding which will cover the chassis frame)
My wheels appear to be 1/2 inch offset even though the trailer folks said they were zero offset. I measured with them face down and got 4 inches from the floor to the hole and 9 inches from the floor to the top of my straightedge lying across the tire.
Fenders are approx. 10 inches across the top.
With swing arms, brakes, and clearance would 74 inches be in the ballpark for placing my order?

Thanks for the help.
Kris :question:
KA
Donating Member

Postby madjack » Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:56 pm

...57.5" outside to outside for mounting pads...5" backspace...1" tire/side clearance... 3/4" for the wall over frame comes out to 57.5 + 5 + 5 + 1 + 1 + .75 + .75 = 71"s hub face to hub face minimum....I would order the axle as a 57.5"outside pad measurement with a 72" H to H width (an extra 1" just because)...when you order your axle, talk with the folks youare ordering from and give them all your info...all I have dealt with have been real friendly/helpful/knowledgeable....I hope someone else verifies the numbers I have given....
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby alaska teardrop » Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:17 pm

Edit: Removed this post because I misunderstood about your total body width. (Trailer - that is) :)
    Fred :peace:
Last edited by alaska teardrop on Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Northern Lite Traveler design: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=51991
Minimalist torsion axle frame: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=12220
Alaska Teardrop photo gallery: http://tnttt.com/gallery/album.php?album_id=2014
Glampette photo gallery; gallery/album.php?album_id=2983&sk=t&sd=d&st=0
alaska teardrop
Platinum Donating Member

Postby KA » Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:18 pm

Thanks Madjack,
I added the extra two inches because I wasn't sure if the brakes required a little extra room. Otherwise, I calculated using the same numbers you did.
Kris :)
KA
Donating Member

Postby madjack » Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:01 pm

Kris, I have never done one with brakes before so I don't know what effect that will have on your measurements...the numbers I gave you are for a non braked axle...they may be same, I just don't know...talk to your axle peeps for that info....
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby KA » Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:42 pm

Thanks for the clarification, Madjack. I'll be sure to ask about the affect of brakes.
Kris 8)
KA
Donating Member

which axle?

Postby dahoon » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:36 am

Kris,

There is a company in Seattle called Six Roblees. They are the axle experts for our corner of the world. They will be able to answer any questions you would have.

I have their phone number at work. They do have a toll free number.

Mike
in Mt Vernon
dahoon
Teardrop Master

Postby KA » Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:09 am

Thanks Mike. I bought my wheels from Six Robblees in Tacoma. I didn't think they carried the Flexiride axles, but I'll double check before placing my order. It would be nice to buy the axle from a local business.
Kris :)
KA
Donating Member

Postby madjack » Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:40 am

Kris, Six Robblees doesn't carry the Flexride but they do carry the Dexter Torflex which is every bit as good an axle and is cheaper to boot plus shipping on the Flexiride is gonna cost ya most of a Franklin...the Flexiride does have an adjustable torsion arm but figuring out what start angle to order on the Torflex will be no problem...you should be able to save at least a hundred bucks by going with the Torflex...that's money that can be spent elsewhere................
madjack 8)
madjack
Site Admin

Postby angib » Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:56 am

Kris,

You have previously said your trailer body will be 60" wide, but you haven't specified it here. It is important as, without it, any tire clearances are guesses.

If your body is 60" outside width, then madjack's calculation becomes 60 + 1 + 1 + 5 + 5 = 72" hubface.

I believe hubface is measured over brake drums - if you tell the manufacturer, they will make any necessary adjustments.

If you have a 72" hubface, 9" wide tires and 5" backspace, you will have a width over the tires of 72 + 4 + 4 = 80". With a 60" body and 10" wide fenders, you will have a width over the fenders of 60 + 10 + 10 = 80". So the outside of the fenders and the outside of the tires should line up exactly.

The one remaining test is the clearance between the body and the suspension arm. Most manufacturers have 6" or 6.5" from the hubface to the inside of the arm and you have only 6" available (5" backspace + 1" tire-wall clearance), so you may have to put a small notch in the sidewall for the suspension arm to move into.

I would show you this last point on the diagrams I drew, but the www.teardrops.us site appears to be down at the moment!

Andrew
Last edited by angib on Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby KA » Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:57 am

Hi Madjack,
Thanks for the tip. I want a 14 or 15 inch ride height with my 15 inch wheels. I think that Asianflava said in a previous post that a 22 1/2 starting angle is what he used to get a 14 inch ride height. Since I bought my wheels at Six Robblees, they should be able to help me buy the correct stuff. I have the day off tomorrow so might just run up there with my wheel, tire, fender, and chassis dimensions.
:) Kris
p.s. Part of the reason I was going with the Flexiride is that I've been worrying about the drop floor dinette. I was afraid that if I got my start height too low, that the drop floor would get below my car axle. I was thinking that the Flexiride would allow me to move the ride height up a couple of inches if I needed to do that.
KA
Donating Member

Postby KA » Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:05 am

Hi Andrew,
Thanks for confirming the axle width measurements. 60 inches wide is what the chassis width should be with the plywood over the sides. I was using the dimensions of my trailer chassis that Grant gave me on his drawing that show a reduction of the 60 inches to allow for the plywood overhang. I think I'll talk to the manufacturer about ordering the 72 inch axle and then I'll wait to cut the steel for the chassis until I physically look at all the pieces and remeasure everything.
Thanks so much for all the help.
KA
Donating Member

Postby AmyH » Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:00 am

Kris, I would definitely talk with the guys at Six Robblees, even if you are not planning on getting the dexter axle. The guy I worked with there was incredibly helpful, and I couldn't have gotten all the correct parts without him! They will help you figure out exactly what you need. If you get an axle with brakes, you'll also need to get this device that engages the brakes should the trailer become separated from the vehicle. Evidently it is a state requirement to have that device. When you talk to the guys at Six Robblees, ask them about that when you are there.

Amy
Amy
"...follow humbly whereever and to whatever abyss Nature leads, or else you shall learn nothing." T.H. Huxley

Photo Log
Camping Trips with the Tear
AmyH
*The 300 Club

Postby KA » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:02 pm

Hi Amy,
Thanks for reminding me about that separate braking device. I had completely forgotten about that. I will go talk with the Six Roblees guys tomorrow.
p.s. The fenders that I got from you look like they will be just the perfect size over my wheels and tires. Now I just have to figure out how to attach them to the trailer.
KA
Donating Member

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets