Axle moving and welding.

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Axle moving and welding.

Postby mufb » Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:45 am

Hello folks, took my Mouse House trailer to the local welder to get the axle moved and now have a problem. First, he says not to remove the railing. Says most of the strength comes from the railing. I tried to explain to hime about teardrops and the cabin providing strength, but his eyes went blank. Then he wants to charge me 300 bucks to move the axle. Seems high to me, but what do I know. He did bring up an interesting point. The fenders are attached to the rails. Can I just cut them off and attach them to the cabin? How do I re-attach the axle for a reasonable cost. I don't think duct tape is gonna do it. Bill
mufb
Donating Member

Re: Axle moving and welding.

Postby angib » Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:34 am

mufb wrote:First, he says not to remove the railing. Says most of the strength comes from the railing.

Some, not most, of the strength of a utility trailer like this does come from the railing.
(1) You don't need that strength - you're adding a self-supporting teardrop body, not 1000 pounds of sand on one end!
(2) How come utility trailers are sold without a railing, if they're so important?

mufb wrote:Then he wants to charge me 300 bucks to move the axle. Seems high to me, but what do I know.

Sounds terribly high to me - like either he's anticipating a problem...... or he thinks you'll pay.....

I can believe that the easiest way to move the axle is to buy new spring hangers - for a total cost of around $10 for all four - so that the old ones can be destroyed while cutting them off. Cutting off the old hangers without harming either the hangers or the frame is tricky.

mufb wrote:He did bring up an interesting point. The fenders are attached to the rails. Can I just cut them off and attach them to the cabin?

This may be difficult - only you can see how they are attached, so only you can answer this question. You might be better off replacing them.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Gage » Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:04 pm

I think I would keep that trailer as a utility trailer. Maybe paint it and then sale it. Then take the three hundred and buy a H.F. trailer. I sure as hell wouldn't give a welder $300 to move the axle.

Have a good day.

:thinking:
I only paid $85 to have my axle cut, stretched 9", rewelded and redrilled for the springs.
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby asianflava » Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:53 pm

$300 that guy is out of gourd! My custom frame was around $500, most of the expense was in the axle and wheels and tires. He probably gave you a high price because he doesn't want to do it.

Sell the utility trailer and go with a custom frame.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby madjack » Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:55 pm

...see the bottom line of my sig...go elsewhere 'cause he just doesn't wanna doit.......................... 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby jdarkoregon » Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:25 pm

Bill,

The above suggestions are "right on the money"! Take your pick, they all will solve your issue. Unless you are attached to the old trailer, think about putting a deck on it, sell it and buy new.

Welders are funny about "strength". I am stuck with a brother-in-law, so my trailer is really "bomb proof" but then I'm experimenting. I'd say the welder really didn't want to do it and gave you a price to show it.

If you just can't part with the old trailer, buy the brackets and move the axle that way. You could cut off the rails yourself, sabersaw & grinder.

Happy decision making John :oops:
Innovation is essential
The world can be better
ImageImage
jdarkoregon
Donating Member

Postby john sheppard » Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:44 pm

mufb i'm a welder by trade and there is no prob to move that axel.all that has to be done is grind the welds off the hangers to release them.not a big job then move your axel where you want it and weld it back on .it is not a 300 dollar job by no means 1 to 1and half hours work to move it. and taking off the railing I don't think that will hurt your trailerat all .the tt will be bolted to it also giving it strength.good luck john sheppard
john sheppard
Teardrop Builder

Postby dahoon » Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:51 am

Hey, Bill if you to bring it over to the house I'd do it for hardly nothing.

Mine is going under the hot knife this week also.

Mike
dahoon
Teardrop Master

Postby mufb » Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:18 am

Thanks John, that's what I figured. I'm lining up a different welder.
And Mike, if I leave now, I should be there about 3AM on Tuesday. Leave the door unlocked and the coffee pot on. :lol: Bill
mufb
Donating Member

Postby Sonetpro » Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:55 am

300 BUCK's!! :o
If I were you I'd take a grinder to it. With a cutting disk and a grinding disk it wouldn't take long. Also just grind off the mount's. Then I would get some 2' angle's and have a welder weld new mount's to the angle. You could then position it where you wanted it on the trailer angle and drill holes where you wanted it mounted. Mine is on a slider like that and when the body was done I moved the axle to where the weight was right. drilled holes and bolted it.
}><)))'> ~--------------·´¯) SteveT
You don't know what the limit's are until you take it there.ImageImageImage
Sonetpro
Site Admin

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets