Good Trailer Book

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Good Trailer Book

Postby KA » Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:34 am

Hi,
While I'm waiting to get off these crutches (bad curb, bad curb), I went to the library and checked out some books on woodworkig and trailer design. One set of books is called Trailers, How to Design and Build by M.M. Smith. Volume one is Basics, Volume 2 and 3 are Strength and Towability. I checked out volume 1 and it appears to be well written with a lot of good photos and drawings.
Volume one covers design, suspension, brakes, wheels and tires, axle placement, electrical, safety devices, accessories (jacks, winches, tie-downs, anti-theft, etc), construction and an appendix of suppliers, manufacturers, reference, bibliography, and glossary of terms. I haven't had a chance to look at volumes 2 and 3 yet.
From what I have read so far, I'd recommend taking a look at Volume 1 if you, like me, don't have a lot of trailer experience. It would be good to look at if you are buying an existing trailer, too.
Kris :)
KA
Donating Member

Postby CHUCKLEHEAD69 » Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:48 pm

kris i've musta missed how u got hurt ,but anyway hope its nothing serious :( and u you'll be back to building in no time.i've been following your build so far.did u ever get those windows to work?anyway hope u get better soon :worship:
JUDE ------- "Laissez les bons temps rouler. let the good times roll"
CHUCKLEHEAD69
Teardrop Master

Postby KA » Sun Aug 20, 2006 1:00 am

Hi Jude,
I injured my ankle by (alas) falling off a curb :oops:. I must have been daydreaming about my trailer. Apparently this, and tripping over dogs are common stories in x-ray rooms. Things are healing well, I'm almost off the crutches and I'll be back working on my trailer in no time. No broken bones, just a bad sprain and a few bruises.
I am still missing a couple of pieces for my windows and am starting to think that I might want to go ahead and buy new ones instead of using my salvaged ones. I think that someone on this forum mentioned that it would be better in a rainy climate to have crank-out windows instead of sliders. Something else to consider. We do get some nearly sideways rain here on occasion. I did manage to clean up the salvage windows quite a bit, tho. The razor blade technique on the glass worked the best and so far there has been no rust from my misadventures with the s.o.s. pads. So, I will find a new home for the salvage windows...maybe a seed starter box in my garden.
I did finish painting my wheels and I like how they turned out. So now I'm waiting for my axle and as soon as I'm steady on my feet I'll start cutting wood. Phew.
Kris :)
KA
Donating Member

Postby CHUCKLEHEAD69 » Sun Aug 20, 2006 1:12 am

good to here u ok im gonna buy new windows also.have my frame done except fenders.but i now have a goal to finish it oct 26 at the icg 2006 gathering . if u dont know what im talking about look at the south central topic .we have 13 so far i think? :) well glad to here its nothing serious and good luck. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
JUDE ------- "Laissez les bons temps rouler. let the good times roll"
CHUCKLEHEAD69
Teardrop Master

Postby KA » Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:57 am

Thanks Jude and good luck on your build! :)
Kris
KA
Donating Member

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets