fender attachment question

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

fender attachment question

Postby KA » Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:58 am

Hi,
Hope I didn't miss this info somewhere on the site and also hope I didn't already ask these questions (my head is overfull with teardrop info).
Anyway, here is the first question. Is it best to attach fenders to the side walls of your trailer or to have some sort of brackets made to weld the fenders to the chassis? My chassis will be covered with plywood in a Benroy style profile.
The second question is, if wall attachment is best, how to you suggest driving the chassis home from the welder without fenders attached? Do you think the trailer would throw rocks at other motorists without fenders?
Thanks.
Kris :thinking:
p.s. Some friends delivered a gift yesterday of a beautiful piece of 1/4 inch plywood for use in making my side pattern. I am so excited. Today I draw the pattern from Grant's paper profile. Yippee. :D
KA
Donating Member

Postby Jack J » Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:05 pm

Kris,

If you can wait until this weekend, there will be 25-30 teardrops at LeMay's for you to look at the fender mounting. I believe that one of them would work for what you are building. There will be many different brands and homebuilt's, plus a woody teardrop that would make the New Yankee Workshop host envious. A camera and notepad are a must.

See you there,
Jack
Jack J
Teardrop Advisor

Postby madjack » Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:28 pm

Kris, I say attach it to the wall...as far as getting the chassis home...just hook up and go..remember what I said before about begging forgivness VS asking permission...if ya just gotta do something, make a pair of mud flaps(rocks guards) outta a 2x4 strapped across the frame with a couple of pieces of scrap ply(or whatever you have) attached for the "flaps"
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby KA » Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:27 pm

Thanks Jack and Madjack...good ideas. I will definitely attend LeMay with lots of questions, notepaper, and film in the camera.

I cut my sidewall paper pattern out today and will transfer it to my plywood pattern sheet tomorrow. Hopefully the axle will be here soon and then things can start moving along a little faster.

I'm happy with how the wheels turned out and now have tires on them. I don't have hubcaps yet but put a stainless cooking pot lid over the bolt holes to get an idea of how it will look. Will post more pictures soon.

Thanks again.
Kris :)
KA
Donating Member

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets