axle arrives

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

axle arrives

Postby KA » Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:39 pm

Hi All,
I picked up my axle today. It is still tied inside my car until my husband gets home to help me unload it. I also got my tongue jack, bolts, a coupler (bought the wrong one the first time), and some temporary lights(bye, bye money).
My next step will be to put the wheels and tires on the axle and physically measure distances, so I'll have a better idea if I'm ok on the chassis width that I've planned (agonized over). Think I'll set the fenders on top the wheels, too, just to decide if I can mount them to the wood sides or if I need to plan some sort of weld bracket on the chassis.
If everything looks ok, I'll take my plans(well...actually Grant's drawing) to the welder on Tuesday. This is exciting!
The axle inside of my car is quite a sight. It is rigged with all sorts of clothesline running outside of the windows and up and over the luggage rack. It is padded with paper boxes, Washington State maps, an art bag full of paint, a swimsuit bag, an old sweater, and the dog's beach blanket. I was trying to keep the axle from taking out the car windows and upholstery and also the back of my head :shock: on the ride home...mission accomplished. Phew! :D
Kris
KA
Donating Member

Postby Steve_Cox » Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:06 pm

Kris,

What??? No Pictures???? :lol:

What kind of axle did you get?
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby KA » Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:36 pm

Hi Steve,
I bought a Dexter #9, 2000 lb (reduced to 1850), 22 1/2 degree down, with brakes. I'm hoping that this will translate to approx 14 inch ride height (just bouncy enough)with my 15 inch wheels. I'll post pictures after I get some help removing the axle from the car tonight (The interior of my car is way too messy for the internet :lol: )
Kris
KA
Donating Member

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets