another axle question

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

another axle question

Postby KA » Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:30 am

Hi All,
My new axle is unloaded here on the porch and I notice that the cross bar (not sure if I'm using the correct terminology here) has a slight arc to it. It seems to be curved so that it is a little higher in the center. This is a Dexter #9 torsion axle. The shop where I bought it is closed for the weekend so I can't ask them until after the holiday. Is this arc normal or do I have a bad axle?
Any ideas?
Thanks.
Kris
KA
Donating Member

Postby Steve_Cox » Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:57 am

Kris,

It is called positive camber. positive camber leans both tires on the axle outward from the center of the vehicle, and as the load increases it puts the wheels and tires at a more neutral camber position for even tire wear. Hope that helps. Are you having fun??? :D
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby angib » Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:12 pm

The curve in the axle makes the wheels/tyres lean outwards slightly at their top - this is intentional and correct.

I think the reason that all axles have positive camber is not to do with loading, but because it makes the trailer track better.

For exactly the same reason the vast majority of cars have slight positive camber on their front wheels, to improve the steering.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby KA » Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:13 pm

Hi Steve,
Thanks for answering my question. I like the sound of "positive camber". :worship: It is much more reassuring than "negative torque", "high tension stress load" , "excessive heat warp" or any number of other things that I can dream up in my state of mechanical ignorance. My fun level on this project increases as I learn on each baby step of the journey. Thanks again for taking the time to answer my question.
:) Kris
KA
Donating Member

Postby KA » Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:17 pm

Hi Andrew,
Once again, I thank you for answering another of my endless questions. :worship: I could not do this build without your help. You have a lot of knowledge and info and it is very kind of you to share.
:D Kris
KA
Donating Member

Postby asianflava » Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:55 pm

Yep, it's so the trailer tracks better. When it is installed, you won't even notice it.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby KA » Sat Sep 02, 2006 2:07 pm

Thanks, Asianflava! 8)
Kris
KA
Donating Member

Postby Steve_Cox » Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:01 pm

angib wrote:The curve in the axle makes the wheels/tyres lean outwards slightly at their top - this is intentional and correct.

I think the reason that all axles have positive camber is not to do with loading, but because it makes the trailer track better.

For exactly the same reason the vast majority of cars have slight positive camber on their front wheels, to improve the steering.

Andrew

Thanks Andrew for the correction. :D

But..... I got this info from the Dexter Axle web site FAQ....

" Axles are typically built with a pre-determined bend in the tube that compensates for the expected deflection under load."

But they could be wrong as to why they do it, we just know for sure that they do it... :lol:
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby asianflava » Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:30 pm

I've heard that reason also, but I have a problem with the physics behind it.
How will it deflect when the axle is supported on the ends and not in the middle. There is nothing in the middle to push down and flatten the axle out.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby apratt » Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:46 pm

asianflava wrote:I've heard that reason also, but I have a problem with the physics behind it.
How will it deflect when the axle is supported on the ends and not in the middle. There is nothing in the middle to push down and flatten the axle out.

I know you wouldn't think the axel will bend in the middle, but it does!! How I know..... I had a large utillty trailler and I overloaded and didn't reallize it untill I got behind it and then I notice the top of the wheels where tilted inwards. Shocked I got on my knees and looked under the trailer and seen the axel was bowed downwards in the middle. Needless to say I unloaded half the stuf I had in the trailer!!! Whew!! I thouht I ruined my axel, but it went back to ok. :?
Arthur,

ASL spoken here
apratt
Gold Donating Member

Postby Nitetimes » Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:46 pm

asianflava wrote:I've heard that reason also, but I have a problem with the physics behind it.

It may seem that way but I have replaced a lot of axles because they were straightened out. It is unlikely to happen to one with a TD on it unless it's pretty heavy. Most of the ones you see flattened are on trailers that have been seriously overloaded.
There may not be anything in the center pushing down but you still have leverage working on it.
Don't know much about physics but I have seen what weight will do to things.
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby asianflava » Sat Sep 02, 2006 7:49 pm

Yup I guess so, who knows when you overload it. Thinking about it again, it can bend when there is enough weight on it, with enough weight anything can bend.

We are talking about torsion axles aren't we?
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby angib » Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:34 am

Steve_Cox wrote:"Axles are typically built with a pre-determined bend in the tube that compensates for the expected deflection under load."

I stand duly corrected, and promise I will try to remember that in future!

On the issue of how to bend an axle, here is the loading diagram - the ground is pushing upwards on the axle well outside where the trailer frame is pushing downwards on it, so that puts a twisting action on each end:

You can easily get exaclty the same sort of bend, but the other way up, by putting a thumb and forefinger on each end of a 12" ruler - get a 2" offset between each thumb and forefinger and you can snap the ruler.

No, I'm not buying you a new ruler because you've just snapped yours....

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Nitetimes » Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:40 am

asianflava wrote:We are talking about torsion axles aren't we?

Yep, they can be straightened out too but it is less likely than a sprung axle when you consider that the spindle is not actually attached to the axle tube itself. What I usually see happen to them is that the spindle will snap off the arm.
It's a miserable job trying to replace it too.

angib wrote:On the issue of how to bend an axle, here is the loading diagram - the ground is pushing upwards on the axle well outside where the trailer frame is pushing downwards on it, so that puts a twisting action on each end....

Andrew that's exactly what I was talking about.
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets