Tire Sizes on a 13" rim

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Tire Sizes on a 13" rim

Postby Marty » Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:54 pm

Hey guys I need to be educated. I've got a old spring style torsion axle off a pickup camper tag-along. The cost was right - Free. The hubs have electric brakes that I have rebuilt and drums turned a set of new bearings and for about $150 I'll be good to build a teardrop tool trailer for the business. Quite the advertising going down the road. The 13" rims came with chrome moon hubcaps that I would really like to use. The bad tires that came with the rig are 6.50 x 13 tires. My question is how big(wide) of a tire can I put on that rim. Basically I need to get educated on tire sizing for 13" rims.
Thanks in advance for your help
Marty
The four most expensive words in renovation are: "While we're at it..."
Marty
Teardrop Builder

Postby Dale M. » Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:51 pm

This site has a lot of information on tire/wheel sizes....

http://www.rogerkrausracing.com/sheets.html

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby angib » Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:03 pm

Goodyear offer dedicated radial trailer tyres in 175 and 185 widths for 4.5-5.5 and 4.5-6.0 inch rims respectively.

Carlisle offer a similar choice.

Of course for a teardrop, you are not limited to trailer tyres and can use car tyres too.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Marty » Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:27 pm

Dale and Andrew,

Thanks guys I"ll be able to shop for some good used tires with the info. on all three sites. I appreciate your help.

Marty
Marty
Teardrop Builder

Postby Gerdo » Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:43 pm

Deffinitly check into car tires. Trailer tires will carry more weight for the same size but we don't need capacity. It is my experience that a car tire will ride better on a teardrop. I had trailer tires on mine and switched to car tires and it rides smoother and still tracks great. As far as what tires are available? I don't know but the info gives to you by Dale and Andrew should help. Also check at your local tire store. You need to know how much space you have between the tires/rims you have and the body (keep about an inch clearance) The size tire that you can use also depends on the width of your rims.
Gerdo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby KA » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:05 pm

Hi,
I took my wheels to the tire shop and had them suggest a tire to go on them. They also recommended using car tires since the weight of the trailer will be reasonably light.
Kris :)
KA
Donating Member

Postby Marty » Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:07 pm

KA and Gerdo

I took the rims to my local tire shop and my man, Greg fixed me up with a pair of passenger car tires that he just took off his wife's car. This pair is only half worn. As my man Greg says, " Can you imagine THE LOOK he'd get from his wife if for some reason the tires goes bad on her car. A tire guys wife HAS GOT TO HAVE good tires on the DA (Domestic Associate) car. He sold them to me for $20 ea. mounted, balanced, new valve stems and take the old tires.
I just want the info. so that when I see a pair of tires come up for sale as used on craigslist or in the shoppers I can get a quick reference to see if I could make those tires work for something else I got that needs tires.
Thanks so much for your reply

Marty
Marty
Teardrop Builder

Postby KA » Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:59 pm

Marty, that sounds like a real deal. Good luck with the tires.
Kris
KA
Donating Member

Postby Gerdo » Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:59 pm

Marty
If you didn't get the $20 tires you should. Thats a great deal. What size did you figure you could use?
Gerdo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Marty » Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:25 pm

Gerdo,

I ended up getting P175/70R13 M+S . They are a little smaller than the two that were on there but these should ride really nice.
I spent some time studying the charts that Dale referenced and by basically measuring the rim you can get a range of what can work. Tire guys have the chart memorized but I think I'm going to save the chart and just refer to it when I need to
So tonight I grease the bearings put the wheels back on the hubs and get building a frame this weekend. I've got to practice up on my welding. But, with the Hobart wire feed welder I should be good to go!!!

Marty
Marty
Teardrop Builder

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets