Fender fasinated.

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Fender fasinated.

Postby Ron Dickey » Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:34 pm

I keep looking around as to how finders are attached. I noticed on most boat trailers the attachments are at both ends of the trailer and not in the middle.
I am not a welder sofar but I plan more to do wood ones maybe jeep type so I have a flat surface.

my trailer is a boat trailer most of the support is at the back and in order to ad strength for support in the front I ma added a bolted on bar crossing at a right angle the ceter poles.

I got a extra tire holder but am having troubles figuring where to put it. I may go on top of the Sleeper part. But that can be removed (the sleeper part). I may put it above the tung where the extra storage unit usally goes.

One day I will lean to take digital pictures for you to see.

Ron D.
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby KA » Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:54 am

Hi Ron,
I'm trying to figure out fender attachment, too. :thinking: There seems to be a lot of different ways to go about it. I've been looking at the way other teardrops are done and have seen several approaches, including the one you mentioned. Also, I've seen fenders just bolted to cabin walls, brackets underneath the fenders, footsteps under the door attached to fenders, and fenders with solid backs that are welded to the trailer chassis frame.
I'm still not sure how I will attach mine, but will probably wait until the walls are up to decide. I'm hoping that I measured well enough to bolt fenders to walls but am concerned about wheels bouncing differently than walls and causing fenders and tires to hit each other.
Good luck with your build. It will be nice to see the pictures of what you decide to do and to hear how your techniqes work. Please keep us posted.
Kris :)
KA
Donating Member

Postby madjack » Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:58 am

Kris, with your torsion axle, the "bounce" is straight up and down...there is no side to side flex/bounce....... 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Ron Dickey » Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:42 pm

I created a fender attachement question under user poll.

Ron D.
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby halfdome, Danny » Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:53 pm

KA wrote:Hi Ron,
I'm trying to figure out fender attachment, too. :thinking: There seems to be a lot of different ways to go about it. I've been looking at the way other teardrops are done and have seen several approaches, including the one you mentioned. Also, I've seen fenders just bolted to cabin walls, brackets underneath the fenders, footsteps under the door attached to fenders, and fenders with solid backs that are welded to the trailer chassis frame.
I'm still not sure how I will attach mine, but will probably wait until the walls are up to decide. I'm hoping that I measured well enough to bolt fenders to walls but am concerned about wheels bouncing differently than walls and causing fenders and tires to hit each other.
Good luck with your build. It will be nice to see the pictures of what you decide to do and to hear how your techniqes work. Please keep us posted.

Kris, I have a Dexter Torsion axle and I put a 3" block on the top of the tire and placed the fender on top of that for fender placement. Three inches is pretty common according to the people at Freeway Trailer in Fife, WA. They sell fenders too, that's where I got mine :) Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby KA » Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:37 am

Thanks, Madjack, Danny, and Ron,
Is this a learning process, or what? Thanks yet again for being so helpful.
KA
Donating Member

Postby asianflava » Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:40 am

I basically centered the wheel in the opening. I set a chunk of 2 X 4 on top of the tire, then I put the fender on top of that so that I could stand back and look at it.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby b.bodemer » Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:53 pm

That 2 x 4 was pretty much how I centered mine too. And I learned another thing while building a td: If it looks good it is good!

Barb
b.bodemer
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby KA » Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:02 pm

Thanks Barb and Asianflava,
I really like the ideas for centering the fender.
KA
Donating Member

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets