Red Trailer cross members cuts

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Red Trailer cross members cuts

Postby Mary K » Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:41 pm

Okay, I received my Red Trailer today and started thinking...ouch...somethings burning... :R

I will be building from the Generic Benroy Plans. As instructed, I will be cutting off 2" from the cross members. My question is ...er...okay the cross members are a "C" channel with a folded "flap" (for lack of a better word) on the end, do I cut off the 2" in length and leave ...er I need a drawing for this...

crap...I can't upload, my home PC is a POS, will have to wait until tomorrow to post a pic.....if needed.

The Question is do I need to cut the end off and still have a flap to fold back? I assume I need the end flap to bolt to the side rails. Gosh this is tarded question... I just reread it... Good luck yall... :(

Mk
Mary K

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. Bilbo Baggins
Mary K
6000 Club
6000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:27 am

Mary,

You can cut off the 2" on one end, and put the bolts in the top and bottom of the c channel instead of the end flap. I believe that's what Tom S. did, and that's the way the Harbor Freight trailers are designed.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Mary K » Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:48 am

Thanks Mike... I have a tendency to over think some things.

Mk
Mary K

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. Bilbo Baggins
Mary K
6000 Club
6000 Club

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets