Confusion sets in!

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Postby madjack » Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:17 am

TM, that is plenty doable...you could stop the steel at the axle for that matter...the torsion box that a TD is, will not sag(AM, think plywood in a vertical plane)...you will haveta take the length into consideration when figuring axle placement...if you hunt up pics of the frame planed for Mikes Ultra-Light, you will see what I mean
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Miriam C. » Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:00 pm

:oops: MJ ya caught me with my head in a box. Doable :shake hands:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Tripmaker » Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:08 am

madjack wrote:TM, that is plenty doable...you could stop the steel at the axle for that matter...the torsion box that a TD is, will not sag(AM, think plywood in a vertical plane)...you will haveta take the length into consideration when figuring axle placement...if you hunt up pics of the frame planed for Mikes Ultra-Light, you will see what I mean
madjack 8)

Thanks. That is what I was thinking as well but wanted confirmation. :thumbsup: Two vertical pieces of plywood should be quite strong. I am considering shortening up my plans to 9'6" which would result in only a 18" overhang. My concern is/was that the rear galley is where much of the weight will be with cabinets and loaded items. However I am not planning for a water tank or sink. I want to keep it simple.

I did see Mike's Ultra-Light wood frame but could not tell what size wood he made the frame from. Depending on size and type of wood couldn't, a wooden frame end up being heavier than C-channel steel? I'm not trying to second guess his plans, just curious.
Jim

I started with nothing and still have most of it left.
Tripmaker
500 Club

Previous

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets