Confusion sets in!

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Confusion sets in!

Postby Tripmaker » Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:40 pm

I have been reading all these posts to the point of total confusion. Planning my 5X10 Generic Benroy I have been searching for a trailer. I read the posts about the Tractor Supply trailer and called for information. They can build to size but it looks like the cost will be around $800. So I figure that the Red Trailer would be more economical. But then I read the threads about the small wheels and bearing on the HF trailers not being up to the task of highway speeds (70 MPH). I'm not looking to race but I want to keep up with traffic. Question is if I get bigger wheels for the Red Trailer are the bearings up to the task or are they the same as the bearings on the HF? Or am I obsessing with this entirely too much? It looks like all of the commercially built TD's and many of the user built TD's have substantial running gears under them. But then I had a pop-up for years with small wheels and never had a problem. Hope someone can shed some light on this for me.
Jim

I started with nothing and still have most of it left.
Tripmaker
500 Club

Postby Nitetimes » Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:10 pm

Buy what you want and keep up the maintenance on the bearings including repacking them after you get it and you'll be fine. :thumbsup:
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:38 pm

Look at all the Harbor Freight trailers on this forum with 12" wheels, and we don't have any problems.

When I took my 4x8 to MO last week I checked the temps of the hubs, and there were not even warm. And I was going a solid 75mph.

So I agree with Rich... buy what you like, and keep the bearings greased, and you shouldn't have any problems. I like the Harbor Freight 5x8 trailer, mostly because it's black. I'll probably be buying one of those soon... :o

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Laredo » Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:51 pm

<hijack> mike can you please post a link to that trailer? </hijack>

I'm with these guys. The 14' two-gate dual-axle stock trailer carried anything we could convince to walk (or be shoved) through the gate(s) for 15 years, and then what it needed was new floorboards.

2x6 redwood, cut to fit, soaked in linseed oil, slipped into place.
It was 8 more years before we had to sell (lost farm). Greased the hubs like always and I spent a couple of hours and $3 worth of polishing compound cleaning up the paint.

It sold for more than my dad gave for it new.

But -- whether it was hauling 40 head of three-day-old calves or 12 head of finish-weight steers or a 3/2 apartment's worth of furniture, the one thing my dad insisted on was that the bearings were repacked every spring.
Mopar's what my busted knuckles bleed, working on my 318s...
Laredo
Donating Member

Postby Kevin A » Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:58 pm

Laredo wrote:<hijack> mike can you please post a link to that trailer? </hijack>

Hereya go, http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=93747
"Follow me, I'm right behind you"

ImageImage
Kevin A
The other guy

Postby mikeschn » Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:02 am

Thanks Kevin!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Laredo » Sat Sep 09, 2006 6:31 pm

oh ... a landscaper special.

Yeah ...
Mopar's what my busted knuckles bleed, working on my 318s...
Laredo
Donating Member

Postby Jiminsav » Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:57 pm

ok..lets stop the madness.
the hubs on the HF trailer are the same whether the wheels are 12 inch or 14 inch..so it don't matter..as long as the rim fits..wear it. ;)
Jim in Savannah
If you can read this bumper sticker, my camper fell off.
Jiminsav
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Tripmaker » Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:38 am

Thanks for the help guys. Looks like the HF is a heavier axle but I would have a significant overhang going 10' long. I can stretch the Red Trailer but it has a lighter axle. Everything is a trade off. What are your thoughts?

Hope everyone here is patient. If you think I have questions now just wait till I start building.
Jim

Tripmaker
500 Club

Postby mikeschn » Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:50 am

here's a Thought for you...

What if you buy a couple pieces of angle iron, 10' long, and replace the channel on the sides with angle iron? Now you have no overhang, and you've still got the benefit of a bolt together trailer, at chinese prices. :lol:

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Miriam C. » Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:48 pm

Looked to me like that HF trailer had sides bolted on. couldn't you appropriate the top rails, put them in the middle and extend the whole thing???
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Tripmaker » Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:16 am

Miriam C. wrote:Looked to me like that HF trailer had sides bolted on. couldn't you appropriate the top rails, put them in the middle and extend the whole thing???

Not a bad idea I'll have to look at that. I guess my original question should have been would an 18" to 24" overhang at the back be too much or would the TD "box" be self supporting.
Jim

Tripmaker
500 Club

Postby GregB » Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:44 am

Tripmaker,

Here is my HF #1740 frame that I've stretched (like many others here) and had welded once I'd bolted it together. It measures 114" from front cross rails to rear, so my overhang will be only 8". I have also increased the length of the tongue somewhat.

GB
I'm not dead, yet. I'm feeling better.
GregB
500 Club

Postby Melvin » Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:40 am

Jiminsav wrote:ok..lets stop the madness.
the hubs on the HF trailer are the same whether the wheels are 12 inch or 14 inch..so it don't matter..as long as the rim fits..wear it. ;)

A 12" tire makes 20-25% more revolutions than a 14" at the same speed, those bearings are working quite a bit harder on a 12" tire.
Commandant Louis Joseph Lahure has a singular distinction in military history - he defeated a navy on horseback. Occupying Holland in January 1795, the French continental army learned that the mighty Dutch navy had been frozen into the ice around Texel Island. So Lahure and 128 men simply rode up to it and demanded surrender. No shots were fired.
Melvin
Teardrop Master

Postby Miriam C. » Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:01 am

Tripmaker wrote:
Miriam C. wrote:Looked to me like that HF trailer had sides bolted on. couldn't you appropriate the top rails, put them in the middle and extend the whole thing???

Not a bad idea I'll have to look at that. I guess my original question should have been would an 18" to 24" overhang at the back be too much or would the TD "box" be self supporting.

Tripmaker,
Andrew can give you a much better idea about the overhang. It isn't something I would do. You might get away with it for a wihile but eventually something would sag. You would also have to do some big time movement of the axle.
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Next

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets