START HERE~ Forum Suggestions ~ Trailer builds & More

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Re: START HERE~ Forum Suggestions ~ Trailer builds & More

Postby Zipline65 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:13 am

We have decided to attempt a build on a 5x8 trailer. I have poured over threads on pros and cons of the different trailers. I'm not concerned about our ability to build the actual teardrop but I feel like the information on the trailers is in a foreign language. My first question is weld vs. bolted. If we use a kit and only bolt it together, will we need to check the bolts regularly to make sure everything is still tight? Once we have the trailer I am sure we will have more questions but there is so much great information about construction here that I feel that we should be able to work our way through step by step.
Thanks for any help.
Liz (zipline65)
Zipline65
Silver Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:35 pm

The bolt together trailers have nylock nuts in the kit. These act like a high tech lock washer. I personally feel there is no serious concern with having your trailer unbolt itsself. Just be sure you tighten them well on the first try. These nuts are a one use thing and are best replaced if you have bolted and unbolted the same fastner.

There are trailer bargains elsewhere... I picked up this one used for $250.00 and simply sawed off the side rails where I didn't want them.

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Zipline65 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:36 pm

Thanks for the information, Bob. I've been watching craigslist Chicago for a used trailer religiously.
Liz
Zipline65
Silver Donating Member

Postby NCBooger » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:31 pm

Just an FYI. In Steve's first post all of the links i tried are dead. Maybe my computer here at work but I don't think so. :( Still alot of good information here though! ;)
“Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.”
NCBooger
Teardrop Inspector

Postby kykate » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:29 am

Has Harbor Freight stopped selling trailers? I cannot find any on their website.
Kate
kykate
Donating Member

Postby Johnm » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:18 pm

kykate wrote:Has Harbor Freight stopped selling trailers? I cannot find any on their website.
Kate

I did a little research and found that there has been a recall. For the time being the trailers have been removed from the shelves. :cry: Here are links to a couple of articles I read on the subject:
https://www.consumeraffairs.com/news/ha ... 03117.html

http://www.rubbernews.com/article/20171 ... iler-tires
Johnm
Teardrop Inspector

Postby kclochridge » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:13 pm

Does anyone have any current 5x8 trailer recommendations. The only option I'm able to find is the Norther Tool Aluminum 5x8 for ~$764. I'm in CA so there aren't any NT locations anywhere near me. Red Trailer appears to be defunct. Harbor Freight seems to only offer 4' wide trailers, and any other retailer (Lowe's, Home Depot is pricier than NT).
kclochridge
Teardrop Inspector

Previous

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets