FYI - Red Trailer Assembly & Added Modification

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

FYI - Red Trailer Assembly & Added Modification

Postby Mary K » Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:12 pm

FYI on the Red Trailer - The Spring hangers in my kit where mislabeled. The left side hanger was marked for the right and visa-versa for the right hanger.
:fb
Of course the instructions/diagram had the front of the trailer folded up over the back end... and I had my trailer upside down, NOT folded.... It was all kaddywampus and fubar!!! It took me an hour and a half to decide it wasn't me that was backwards. Just the little stickers.

:? :? :?
Mk
Last edited by Mary K on Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mary K

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. Bilbo Baggins
Mary K
6000 Club
6000 Club

Postby jbbooks » Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:57 pm

They did that just to test you. somewhere some guys are laughing themselves silly over the thought of you trying to figure it out! :? :cry:
jbbooks
Teardrop Master

Postby Jiminsav » Sat Sep 16, 2006 8:40 pm

those Japanese translators are such kidders..
Jim in Savannah
If you can read this bumper sticker, my camper fell off.
Jiminsav
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby forestfrog » Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:33 pm

I had the exact same problem with the spring hangers on my Harbor Freight trailer...I was about 30 seconds from tearing the whole thing apart and starting over.
:DOH2:
I wonder if they're ALL marked wrong just to test our patience, LOL?! :thinking: :?
Kristi
~*~Stand still and be awed by Nature...~*~
forestfrog
Teardrop Master

Postby madjack » Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:38 pm

don't y'all realize, they are made on the other side of the world, so right is left and vice versa...y'all are luck they weren't made downunder as well...then they would have been upside down as well :D ;)
madjack
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Mary K » Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:37 pm

Do you think the stickers are correct and everyone here that built a HF or RT got em backwards?????.......NAW!!!!! :D

Mk
Mary K

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. Bilbo Baggins
Mary K
6000 Club
6000 Club

Postby nubwon » Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:29 pm

There ya'll go........readin them instructions again lol :scratchthinking: :crazy:
If your gonna be dumb, you gotta be tuff...
nubwon
Teardrop Master

Postby Mary K » Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:37 am

Red Trailer Mod.

Just wanted to show yall the plate I added under the axle. The axle has a notch cut into it for a bolt head on the springs. (on both sides) When the trailer is modified for the Generic Benroy Plans these notches do not line up. I added this plate w/ a hole for the bolt to lift the axle off the bolt head.

Mk
Mary K

Mary K
6000 Club
6000 Club

Postby Gerdo » Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:46 am

I think tie bolt that you are talking about, it goes thru the leaf spring pack, not only holds the pack together but it is also a locating pin. It puts the axle in alignment and keeps it there.You may want to remove your shim and drill a hole for the bolt.
Gerdo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Mary K » Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:11 am

OH no, not another hole to drill!!! :cry: :lol:

Now that I think about it, you are right. That would center it, and keep it from sliding... :fb

I have also installed the axle upside down, It's "U" or "C" shaped, and I have the "U" facing up for a nice little water collector... SO I have to pull it off anyway.

Thanks Gerdo,

Mk
Mary K

Mary K
6000 Club
6000 Club

Postby Gerdo » Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:22 am

I would hate to see your, or anyones, TD going down the road sideways.
Gerdo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby madjack » Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:07 am

MK, not to add any more rain to your parade BUT, check your axle to see if there is a slight arch to it...this arch is put in the axle(pointing up) so that when loaded it will flatten out or for camber/tracking purposes(depending on who you ask)...if you turned your axle "over" the arch is going to be pointing in the wrong direction...the proper way it to not turn the axle over and to add new spring pads for mounting....
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Axle Question

Postby Creamcracker » Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:49 am

Hi All,
My first post on this forum. I'm going to use the HF or the TSC chassis for an 8 x 4 teardrop. My question is do I set the wheels/axle in the position according to the directions or do I have to set them (as it looks in many pics of teardrops) further towards the back? If that is the case is it easy to mount wheels/axles in a different position? And are there any guidelines as to how far towards the back they should be placed? Excuse the newbie question. Thanks Philip
Image Image
3rd Annual Out of Control Shop Winner :)
Creamcracker
Teardrop Graduate

Postby Chaotica » Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:59 pm

Cracker,

You'll find information and downloadable Excel chart here on this page explaining tongue weight and axel position.

http://www.angib.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/t ... tear81.htm

btw, It's easy to move the axel.
Ed
Chaotica
Teardrop Master

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets