Who has the widest Tear?

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Who has the widest Tear?

Postby NightCap » Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:26 pm

I am building my Tear 5x8 (to change now is not an option for me) but have seen some that have made there queen size bed fit in sideways. This would be a great solution for some that like to optimize space. I'm guessing a tear would have to be at least 6 1/2 feet wide to do this. Maybe on my next tear project..... I have a big family and would like to see all of them have tears as well.
#1 - 100% Done #2 - 100% Done Thinking about #3
NightCap
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby dhazard » Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:12 pm

NightCap, Food for thought. For a 6 ½ foot wide tear you will have to extend your mirrors to see around it… :(
ImageImageImage
Many miles and many tears. Times were hard but now they're changing.
You should know that I'm not afraid.
dhazard
Donating Member

Postby angib » Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:04 am

DHAZARD wrote:For a 6 ½ foot wide tear you will have to extend your mirrors to see around it…

And you'll have to build the wheels in/under the body, unless you use small wheels, as anything larger won't fit within the 8 foot wide limit of many states.

If you build the wheels in/under the body, you either can't use that part of the body for a bed, or you have to raise it above the wheel boxes.

Like life, design is just a compromise.... :thinking:

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby asianflava » Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:56 pm

8ft wide? Sounds like more trouble than it's worth. You want/need a TTT instead of a tear.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Peter Chilman » Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:17 pm

Hi Nightcap,
My tear is 6'6" wide I have the wheels placed back a bit so that I can get a queen size bed in without going over the wheel wells, but that make the front a bit heavy,I do need to have clip on mirrors so that I can see around the thing.If I was to build another , I would go 5 ' wide and put the bed in length ways because the galley space is huge which makes it very easy to overload with stuff that you dont really need .
Peter Chilman
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Miriam C. » Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:18 pm

Can I suggest before anyone builds wider than 5 ft they go to a gathering and really look at a t/ttt. Mine is going to be great but it is so tall and wide (6' 4") that I couldn't reach the center to put in screws. Hubby had to lay on the top to get to them. There are some drawbacks.

We put extended shakles on to raise it off the wheels so it won't be going to my favorite fishing hole. :roll:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby mikeschn » Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:28 pm

I've built 4' wide, 5' wide, 6' wide and 5 1/2' wide...

I've decided that 5 1/2' wide is the optimum width... both for the queen sized bed and for being able to see around the trailer in a medium sized car.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby jdarkoregon » Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:43 pm

NightCap, I'm with the rest of the group, real wide isn't all that great, I've towed several types of trailers that were 8 foot wide, and man, what a hassle.

Your avatar is driving me CRAZY, Is your personality like that too?
Innovation is essential
The world can be better
ImageImage
jdarkoregon
Donating Member

Postby Big DE » Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:08 am

Mikeschn,
when you say 5 1/2 wide is that "OD" or "ID"????
Thanks Big De
Big DE
Teardrop Master

Postby jimqpublic » Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:07 am

I'm sort of with Mike- 5-1/2' exterior seems about right for smallish cars. Our Chalet has a total width of 6'6" and it requires me to use an extended towing mirror for our Subarus. It would sure be nice to avoid that. But I do get used to the width- it still tracks right behind the car so as long as my mirrors fit then the trailer will. In fact with inboard wheel wells 6'6" is about the same overall width as a 5' tear with outboard wheels.

Wind resistance most likely goes way up too as the trailer gets wider than the car.

Still there's a big difference between a "just wide enough to sleep crosswise" 6'6" TTT and the standard travel trailer width of 8'. In fact many trailers are now built on the new interstate maximum of 8'6". Fine until you cross a narrow bridge that hasn't heard of the wider limits!

Many mattress companies make innerspring beds in "RV length" which is 75". So going with 76" inside you can use off-the-shelf bedding. I think crosswise sleeping is the only practical way to build a TTT that comfortably sleeps more than two. Even little children grow up!
Jim
2002 Chalet Arrowhead but always wanted a Teardrop
2 kids and a Dear Wife
http://community.webshots.com/user/jimqpublic
jimqpublic
The 300 Club

Postby NightCap » Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:02 pm

All very good input. Thanks. I will have to look at all the TTT's in the group. I have to admit that it would be nice to have some family join us in the trailer sometimes. I think I will have to rely on clever alteritives instead of going wider. I have seen some real unique things here. I like the canvas Hammocks, can't remember who had that with the canvas and closet rods. Very cool.
#1 - 100% Done #2 - 100% Done Thinking about #3
NightCap
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets