s-10 truck bed for Chassis???

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

s-10 truck bed for Chassis???

Postby cityspokes » Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:12 pm

I'm intrigued with the Tear Drop, as I no longer like sleeping on the COLD HARD ground! I've found an Old s-10 or s-15 truck bed that has been made into a trailer, the body is shot, no working lights, Tires are in a sorry state, the tail gate doesn't even work, basically it's just a foundation for a Tear Drop?? I'm also considering making the trailer multi-purpose, by making it a flat-bed trailer with a modular Tear-Drop whjich would be removable...............any thoughts??? All info I'm sure will be of great help. Thanks Harry :thinking:
cityspokes
Teardrop Inspector

Postby asianflava » Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:57 pm

Someone asked this same question a while back. The short answer was, "it will be more trouble than starting from scratch" Your tear will be really high off the ground. Plus, The frame isn't flat there is a hump where the axle is.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby madjack » Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:03 am

....can be done but think weightweightweightweightweight...you have way more weight and framing than you need(think ant and sledge hammer)...one of the nice things about tds is their lightweight and it's effect on gas mileage...take the S10 and sell or junk it and build a custom frame or buy a bolt together...you'll be happy you did...uh, did I say anything about weight.........
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby cityspokes » Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:38 pm

Thanks folks for the info, and everything mentioned makes Perfect sense, I'll just wait till I can either buy new, or find something I can feasibly fabricate within my budget, Thanks Harry (as far a the truck bed frame....... :thumbdown: !!
cityspokes
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets