Wheel sizes?

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Wheel sizes?

Postby cuyeda » Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:23 am

This is my first of many questions I will have in the future! Gathering info for my first teardrop, and was going to go with a red trailer kit. I see pictures of other teardrops that look like the wheels are larger. It would be nice to put on a vintage fender, and moon hubcaps.

Is this a custom chassis, and what type of axle are used. Or, can a red trailer be used and upsize the tire? See picture for sample. I realize this owner did a lot of customization, but can someone fill me in on the tire size?

I found this photo on the web somewhere, so if you know the owner, I hope he doesn't mind the usage of this photo for reference. Nice job!

Cliff
Why just dance, when you can Salsa!
Cliff & Vanessa
cuyeda
Platinum Donating Member

Postby asianflava » Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:27 am

I've never seen that trailer but judging by how low it is, it has to be a torsion axle (dexter or Flexride) with a negative start angle. I'll take a stab at the tires, probably 205/70-15 Just a guess though.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby madjack » Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:43 am

...welcome 'yeda...you will find that most of the campers you see with larger wheels and custom fenders are on cutom built frames...take a deep breath grasshoppah and spend some time reading, researching and dreaming...most every question you will have has been answered somewheres on the board...read the thread on using board functions in the newbies section...it'll help ya out tremendously...have fun and take lots of pictures...we luv 'em around here and it is what we charge for more advice than you can use...and never ever forget that sense of humor...you'll need it around here........
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby sdtripper2 » Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:05 am

"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country
is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards." -------Theodore Roosevelt

Steve
sdtripper2
Search Garoux

To custom frame, or not to custom frame...

Postby cuyeda » Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:27 am

Yes, been dreamin' a lot lately! I bought a dual mig welder for other unrelated projects, and haven't put the 220V plug end on it yet. ha ha. Going through a few threads here, I found some pictures of custom frame builds. My first thought was to go with the red trailer to get the project started sooner, but I just applied the brakes after looking at tire sizes.

As for pictures, check out a vintage trailer I purchased just last week. I'm on the fence whether or not I will open this can of ham to replace the inside panels. I may opt to turn it around for a quick sale to start the teardrop. I miss camping as I sold my 5th wheel a few months ago.

http://salsaholics.com/aljoa
Cliff & Vanessa
cuyeda
Platinum Donating Member

Postby angib » Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:42 am

sdtripper2 wrote:Red Trailer has a few hubs for size tires.

But you need to remember that you cannot put a wider tyre on most utility trailers without increasing the offset - otherwise the inside face of the tyre will contact the frame.

You can add spacers but at some point you'll overload the bearings, because the wheel/tyre is overhanging the bearings.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

wheel size

Postby tully83 » Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:10 pm

you need the same size tire on trailer that's on you tow car or truck if possible.
tully83
Teardrop Inspector

Willl be build a custom chassis

Postby cuyeda » Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:45 am

Thanks for the tips! I have decided to build a custom chassis when I do build with torsion axles. I have a few projects under my belt so far, so I don't want to get a head of myself. A 1951 Aljoa trailer, and a 65 Mustang. As soon as I get more room, I will build a teardrop. I also bought the workshop manual from Steve Frederick.
Cliff & Vanessa
cuyeda
Platinum Donating Member

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets