Axle Placement and Type?

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Axle Placement and Type?

Postby cablerunners » Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:40 pm

Hi All,

I'm ready to order a custom flatbed trailer from:

http://www.ms-trailer.com

:)

But I'm undecided about a 5x8 or 5x10 trailer. :thinking:

If I order the 5x8 where should I have him place the axle? I would like to nice finders on.

Also, the same question for a 5x10 trailer.

My builder recommended Torsion Suspension as opposed to leaf springs.

Any advice you can offer here is greatly appreciated.

Phil
cablerunners
Teardrop Master

Postby mikeschn » Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:18 pm

Definitely go with the torsion suspension.

It sounds like you don't have your design quite firmmed up yet.

If you go to the design library, (in the menu on top) you'll be able to pick your favorite design, and chose and axle location from that.

Have fun.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby madjack » Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:39 pm

Phil, there are lots of factors that affect tongue weight/axle placement...are you gonna have a tongue box...what are ya gonna carry in it...what about the galley...a full on galley full of cabinets...what about Cast iron DO, battery, propane, water...you can also adjust that balance by where you stow these items and other gear...you can start with 36 onna 8 ft'er and 46 onna 10 ft'er, and work from there...In the Design Library is a trailer balance spreadsheet that has proven to work out pretty accurately
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby cablerunners » Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:18 pm

lol, I'm busted...

You're right I haven't decided on the design yet... It's going to boil down to how much room I have in the garage to work.

I have so much stuff in the garage I don't even have a path from the main garage door to the side door... I'm going to be clearing as much as I can this weekend...

Honestly, looks like it'll be a 5x8.

So far as the tongue... I think all that it'll carry is the spare tire.

I do plan to have a 24 size battery and wire for DC. No AC outlets. I will have an onboard charger and converter.

I'll have to think about the water tank... typically we don't use much water camping. Mostly bottled water, sodas and beer. Last trip in my tent trailer we used about 1 gal of water from the tank. (bushing teeth and rinsing cookware).

The galley will have shelves, but no propane. I plan to use the little bottles for the stove and lanterns. That way we can take the stove and cook a the picnic table and not be restricted to the galley.

I do want to have a portable DVD/CD player with the possibililty of pluging speakers in on the outside of trailer... lol (I'm not the type that likes to crank the music for everyone... just like music for myself)

I don't want alot of tongue weight... bouncing on the hitch while towing... I've never towed a tear so that's why I'm asking.

Phil
cablerunners
Teardrop Master

Postby madjack » Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:21 pm

Phil...this, ultimately is your decision...somewhere in the neighborhood of 32 to 36 inches from the rear will probably workout for a 5x8 tear...remember that if you are using a torsion axle, that measurment is from the center of the spindle, not the center of the axle tube...
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Re: Axle Placement and Type?

Postby angib » Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:28 am

cablerunners wrote:I'm ready to order a custom flatbed trailer from: http://www.ms-trailer.com

I do hope they offer you some choice of design - their web site says 'All trailers come with... Dexter 3500# axles' - unless you plan building your teardrop out of concrete, it's going to weigh a lot less than that and that means it will be the same as having no suspension.

Bigger is not always better - in this case a 3500lb axle isn't half as good as a 1750lb axle!

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby cablerunners » Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:00 am

Yeah, he will.

He sugested a 3000lb torsion axle instead.

I'm thinking a 2000lb torsion with 13" wheels instead of the 15" (unless you think a lighter axle instead).

Thanks for bringing it up! :)

-phil
cablerunners
Teardrop Master

Postby asianflava » Sat Sep 23, 2006 2:46 pm

I'm using a 2000lb Dexter, dry weight of my 5X10 trailer is 1200lbs probably 1500lbs loaded up. I did drop the tire pressure to 25psi, it rides fine now.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby cablerunners » Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:30 am

Thanks for the info....

From what I can find on the Forum is that the 5x8 Genric Benroy weighs about 950 lbs.

So am I right in thinking that I should order a frame with 1500 to 1750 torsion springs instead of 2000lbs?

:thinking:

Thanks,
-phil
cablerunners
Teardrop Master

Postby madjack » Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:13 am

Phil, as a rough rule of thumb. you want a spring rate equal to 150% of weight...so a 1000# tear w/gear would need a 1500# spring rate.........
madjack 8)
madjack
Site Admin

Postby eamarquardt » Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:19 pm

Hi,
Here is an assy that I will use on my teardrop. Use rect. tube for the frame, insert the strap nut from the end, place the axle (assy) for the balance you want, drill the holes, and push the strap nut to the right place, and install the bolts. Works every time.

Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets