Chassis/axle Poll

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

what frame/axle set up did you use

custom frame/torsion axle
32%
custom frame/spring axle
23%
Harbor Freight
23%
Red Trailers
4%
Tractor Supply Co
8%
modified bolt together
2%
wood
4%
magic dust
4%
boat trailer
2%

Total votes : 53

Chassis/axle Poll

Postby cuyeda » Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:57 am

Newbie here, and planning to get myself to the next local teardrop meet in So. Cal to check out the tears out there! Anxious to put a plan together, so while waiting for the next meet, I have a question(s).

Poll:

What percentage of teardrop builders use the Harbor freight, or Red trailer chassis, VS. doing a complete build from scratch using 2x2 channel iron?

Are the torsion axles preferred?

I presume when selecting a torsion axle, a custom chassis is built.

I have a new mig welder I bought for other unrelated projects. It doesn't mean I know how to weld. :twisted:

Cliff
P.S. If I can work all of the logistics out, I am considering many features: water tank, shore power, inverter, solar etc...
Last edited by cuyeda on Sun Sep 24, 2006 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Why just dance, when you can Salsa!
Cliff & Vanessa
cuyeda
Platinum Donating Member

Postby madjack » Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:30 am

cuyeda...if you truly want a poll, click the "edit" button on your post and look at the bottom of the page...you will see the facility to make your question into a true poll...be sure to add options for custom/torsion, custom/spring, HF, Red, TSC, modified bolt together, other.......
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Re: Chassis/axle Poll

Postby Gage » Sun Sep 24, 2006 3:28 am

cuyeda wrote:Poll:
What percentage of teardrop builders use the Harbor freight, or Red trailer chassis, VS. doing a complete build from scratch using 2x2 iron?

Are the torsion axles preferred?

I presume when selecting a torsion axle, a custom chassis is built.

I have a new mig welder I bought for other unrelated projects. It doesn't mean I know how to weld. :twisted:

Cliff
P.S. If I can work all of the logistics out, I would like to add most features: water tank, microwave, shore power, converter/inverter, solar power, A/C, heater. Which will of course add weight.

Cliff, you'll find that here in California the percentage of builders that build with one of those 'bolt together' frames is aabout 1% and what you presume about torsion axles vs. frames is correct.

Also, the next gathering here in California for teardrops will be March 23rd - 25th, 2007 at Lake Perris State Park. There will be a gathering in Kernville the end of Oct. for teardrops and vintage trailers. Also, next weekend there is going to be a gathering for teardrops and vintage trailers in Cottonwood, AZ.

Have a good day.

:thinking:
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Poll add/edit?

Postby cuyeda » Sun Sep 24, 2006 3:32 am

madjack wrote:cuyeda...if you truly want a poll, click the "edit" button on your post and look at the bottom of the page...you will see the facility to make your question into a true poll...be sure to add options for custom/torsion, custom/spring, HF, Red, TSC, modified bolt together, other.......
madjack 8)

Thanks for the tip MJ, but I looked after your response, and did not see a poll builder. Perhaps it is an Admin feature? Perhaps I only have clearance as "teardrop dreamer". ha ha.
Cliff & Vanessa
cuyeda
Platinum Donating Member

Re: Chassis/axle Poll

Postby cuyeda » Sun Sep 24, 2006 3:47 am

Gage wrote:
cuyeda wrote:Poll:

Also, the next gathering here in California for teardrops will be March 23rd - 25th, 2007 at Lake Perris State Park. There will be a gathering in Kernville the end of Oct. for teardrops and vintage trailers. Also, next weekend there is going to be a gathering for teardrops and vintage trailers in Cottonwood, AZ.

Have a good day.[/i][/b]

Thanks Gage, Yes considered the events you suggested. Cottonwood is a bit far for me, I'd love to be there, but not on such short notice. I will take the time to learn here first. Besides no working trailer here. I may try the Kernville event if the schedule is clear. March event, I definitely plan to be there. My feature wish list should be decided on by then, and will probably just make the list longer after I actually see everyone's custom builds. Kid in a candy shop!

ok note to myself: build custom frame with torsion axle...

I promised my wife that I would finish this vintage trailer project by March. The odd thing is, I was undecided to go forward with this 1951 Aljoa (my first project) I picked up last weekend, and was going to do a teardrop instead. To late! I removed the upper kitchen cabinets out this morning! Next step figure out panel replacements.

See project here:
http://www.salsaholics.com/aljoa

Wish me luck!
Cliff & Vanessa
cuyeda
Platinum Donating Member

Postby asianflava » Sun Sep 24, 2006 4:03 am

Here is a poll that I posted a long time ago, when I was building my trailer.

http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=761

MJ, I just checked and the Poll feature is only available in the User Polls topic.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Added to the wish list...

Postby cuyeda » Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:53 am

Thanks for the info, and the poll results. Custom chassis with torsian axle added to the list! I am leaning towards a Benroy plan, and will study the generic plans on the top of the net here. Great starter plan by the way! It uses the HF frame for convenience.

Any chassis designs to match the Benroy? I will keep looking in the meantime.
Cliff & Vanessa
cuyeda
Platinum Donating Member

Postby madjack » Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:13 am

OK...so I made it into a formal pollllllllllll with custom/torsion as my vote.................................. 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Sonetpro » Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:20 am

I picked Magic Dust My option wasn't there. I used a boat trailer.
}><)))'> ~--------------·´¯) SteveT
You don't know what the limit's are until you take it there.ImageImageImage
Sonetpro
Site Admin

Postby madjack » Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:32 am

Steve, I like the magic dust choice but went ahead and added boat trailer since many have started out with one for their build...thanks for pointing that omission out............
madjack 8)
madjack
Site Admin

Postby asianflava » Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:33 pm

Custom/Torsion gets my vote.

MJ: maybe you should make the choice, "Used camper/boat trailer"
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Gage » Sun Sep 24, 2006 3:34 pm

My choice also wasn't up there so I went the same direction that Steve went, 'Magic Dust'. :lol:
I cut down a rotted 13 foot travel trailer. :yes:

Have a good day.

Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Joanne » Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:02 pm

Like Steve, I used a boat trailer. I ended up cutting it all apart and using the parts that were usable, plus some new parts, to build a "custom" trailer. I voted for boat trailer though 'cause it was a boat trailer when I started.

Joanne
New! My Camp Cooking Forum

Project Desert Dawg website

Universal Health Care
Health care with the efficiency of the Department of Motor Vehicles
and the compassion of the Internal Revenue Service.
Joanne
Queen of Cast Iron

Postby PaulC » Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:15 pm

Custom frame and spring is my choice. But, I suppose, I do bash mine around Outback Australia on tracks and unmade roads :D

Cheers
Paul :thumbsup:
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Postby Gage » Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:11 am

PaulC wrote:Custom frame and spring is my choice. But, I suppose, I do bash mine around Outback Australia on tracks and unmade roads :D
Cheers
Paul :thumbsup:

But just think Paul. The next dude that comes along pulling a trailer will be a 'made' road. :lol:

Have a good day.

Saving Australia money.
Image Image Image
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Next

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets