Painting steel frame

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Painting steel frame

Postby Juneaudave » Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:38 pm

I cleaned up my welded steel frame, coated and wet sanded it a couple times with spray can Rust-oleum autobody primer and think it will be ready for final paint next weekend. I'm not set-up for HPLV or regular spray applications.

Any suggestions on paint brand, type and number of finish coats to get the most durable finish out of a spray can? I want as good a finish as I can afford, but in my salt/wet environment, durability of the finish is probably more important. Thanks...Juneaudave
Juneaudave
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Leon » Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:52 am

Since you have already primed with rustoleum, that would be a good choice. I've used it and it has held up well for me. There are other, tougher finishes such as POR15 that can be sprayed or brushed, it is like a rock when dry.
Leon
Silver Donating Member

Postby asianflava » Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:14 am

I used Rust Bullet, similar to POR-15 but less work. Don't get it anywhere where you don't want it. I didn't find any good solvents to take it off.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Dale M. » Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:34 am

I used Rust-Oleum ( primer and finish) and did it with a brush! (2 coats) .... Not the prettiest but it is black and protected.... Actually brushing lets you get in nooks and crannies of welds and corners where spray may not saturate/penetrate...

I just put down large paper drop cloth and propped frame up on side (vertically ) so I could paint bottom area well and went at it...

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby McTeardrops » Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:50 pm

I've been told, by PPG and other paint reps, that automotive paints are not compatible with rustolium products.

I used rustolium black "hammered" finish on the last trailer. It looks good for a while, touches up nice, but doesn't hold up well in wear areas like fenders and tongue. Their regular paints have held up better, but won't allow spot touch up.
Lenny

[email protected]
I've reached the stage, in life, where my foam has more memory than I do!
McTeardrops
The 300 Club

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets