Ground Clearance

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Ground Clearance

Postby towekad » Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:23 pm

Hi,

I hope I have posted this question in the correct place -- I picked the wrong place last time. Ground clearance -- sometimes we go camping in the middle of nowhere and the road can sometimes be rough. I was wondering if you could tell me the average ground clearance of the teardrop trailers -- I have the Kuffel Creek Plans and a couple other plans. I am not sure if there would be a difference in ground clearance using and axle with leaf springs vs torflex axles.

thanks
kathy
towekad
Donating Member

Postby asianflava » Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:03 am

In a nutshell:

A torsion axle typically works better on road and a leaf sprung axle is better suited to off road conditions.

The torsion axle has limited articulation (up & down movement) but has built in damping.

A leaf sprung axle has very little damping but lots more articulation. You could add shock absorbers to a leaf sprung axle if you wanted some damping.

Damping prevents a trailer from bouncing. My best example of dampening is to take a slinky and hold it on one end. If you pull the other end down it will go: boing boing boing up and down. Now, if you did this underwater, it would still go: boing boing but fewer times and with less speed. That's why they are called shock absorbers, they are to absorb the shock from the spring movements.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby PaulC » Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:58 am

Hi Kathy, check my album for offroad ground clearance. I, and the Handbrake(affectionate term for the wife) do a lot of remote area camping. That should give you an idea of leaf springs with 31" tyres.

Cheers
Paul :thumbsup:
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Postby Podunkfla » Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:09 am

Handbrake :D :) :lol: Now THAT'S funny!

When I was in the photography business a few years ago... I fondly refered to my wife as the "GADGET BAG". We are divorced now. :roll:
<B>~ Brick
<I>... I've done so much with so little for so long... Now I can do almost anything with nothing! </I></B>
Image...Lots more pix here!
Podunkfla
ol' noodle haid

Postby PaulC » Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:04 am

Brick, This one's the only one that has been able to pull me up and make me realise what's really happening. Would not swap her for all the tea in China :D

Cheers
Paul :thumbsup:
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Re: Ground Clearance

Postby JunkMan » Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:53 am

towekad wrote:Hi,
I am not sure if there would be a difference in ground clearance using and axle with leaf springs vs torflex axles.

You can change the ground clearance with a spring axel by mounting the axel under (increases clearance) or over the springs (reduces the clearance). Dropped axels are also availible for spring set-ups, if you really want to lower the trailer.

Torsional axels come in adjustable and non-adjustable versions. The ground clearance can be fine tuned on the adjustable models, or you have several choices of clearance availible with the non-adjustable models.
Jeff & Odie
Black Hills of South Dakota
JunkMan
500 Club

Postby Toolie » Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:49 pm

Rocky & Junkman, your explainations helped me a lot. I'll stow that info in my mental file. I've got a 74 inch boat axle and I really want to use it but lately, Ive been thinking I should just go ahead and spring for a torsion axle. Thanks.
Toolie
Slowest Teardrop Builder WANNABE

Postby Gerdo » Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:17 pm

I have 16" for clearance at the frame rails, But I also have my spare tire hanging under the frame so I probably have 8" under it. I do some mild off-roading and, to my knowledge, I have not draged it. I have leaf springs and have recently added shocks. http://tnttt.com/viewto ... highlight=[/img]
Gerdo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: Ground Clearance

Postby Joanne » Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:32 pm

Hi Kathy,

You have gotten a lot of good information.

One other thing to keep in mind is that the longer the trailer the more "overhang" (the distance from the axle to the end of the trailer) you have in front and back. Less overhang means less chance of dragging. If two trailers use the exact same axle, an 8' trailer will be less likely to drag than a 10' trailer. I can take my 10' trailer on easy off roading, but nothing serious like some of the folks do here.

Welcome to the list. Be sure to post those build pictures!

Joanne

towekad wrote:Hi,

I hope I have posted this question in the correct place -- I picked the wrong place last time. Ground clearance -- sometimes we go camping in the middle of nowhere and the road can sometimes be rough. I was wondering if you could tell me the average ground clearance of the teardrop trailers -- I have the Kuffel Creek Plans and a couple other plans. I am not sure if there would be a difference in ground clearance using and axle with leaf springs vs torflex axles.

thanks
kathy
New! My Camp Cooking Forum

Project Desert Dawg website

Universal Health Care
Health care with the efficiency of the Department of Motor Vehicles
and the compassion of the Internal Revenue Service.
Joanne
Queen of Cast Iron

Thanks

Postby towekad » Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:56 pm

Thanks for the GOOD information -- this really helps a lot in all my planning and putting the pieces together before we start the building process.

kathy
towekad
Donating Member

Postby BrwBier » Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:55 pm

I went with an adjustable torsion axle for two reasons. One is because that way I didn't have to decide at the start how much clearance to have. The other reason is that being a mechanic, I like adjustable suspension, it just seams to be how it should be. (disclaimer, I also don't plan any off road adventures)
Brwbier
BrwBier
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby CHUCKLEHEAD69 » Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:13 pm

yeah might shake up the beer :lol:
JUDE ------- "Laissez les bons temps rouler. let the good times roll"
CHUCKLEHEAD69
Teardrop Master

Postby madjack » Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:42 am

....just to add a little info here....we used a torsion axle witha 0* start angle and 205/r70/15 tires and have 12" of ground clearance at the axle tube...I prefer a torsion axle for almost every use...however if I was doing truly heavy duty offroading(VERY SERIOUS OFF ROADING), I would consider going to a spring axle for the articulation factor(maybe)........
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets