Bolting floor to trailer

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Postby asianflava » Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:39 pm

I have 8 5/8in bolts that go thru the floor and thru the square tubing. Nothing exotic, just a bolt with 2 flat washers on both sides and a lock washer and regular nut on the bottom. Didn't bother countersinking them because four of em are covered by the mattress and the other four are inside the cabinets.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Mary K » Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:02 pm

Well, Bill, As you can see, to each his or her own. I think I am going to change my mind, cause that is my prerogative, and use tie wraps to hold my floor down. Why be normal?

:R :R :R

MK
Mary K

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. Bilbo Baggins
Mary K
6000 Club
6000 Club

Postby Nitetimes » Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:23 pm

asianflava wrote:I have 8 5/8in bolts that go thru the floor and thru the square tubing.

WOW !!! You haulin coal in there or what??? Or are those regulation hurricane straps.
:lol: :lol:

Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby asianflava » Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:57 pm

Nitetimes wrote:
asianflava wrote:I have 8 5/8in bolts that go thru the floor and thru the square tubing.

WOW !!! You haulin coal in there or what??? Or are those regulation hurricane straps.

You know it's a good thing you posted that. I was going by memory, I think I may have used the 5/8in bolts to hold the coupler to the tongue. 5/8 just seemd to come to mind. Probably because those were the ones that I had to buy most recently (after I cut the tongue down).

The ones I used to bolt the body to the frame have a 9/16in head which probably means that they have a 7/16in shank? or is that a 3/8in shank?
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Kevin A » Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:28 pm

asianflava wrote:
Nitetimes wrote:

You know it's a good thing you posted that. I was going by memory, I think I may have used the 5/8in bolts to hold the coupler to the tongue. 5/8 just seemd to come to mind. Probably because those were the ones that I had to buy most recently (after I cut the tongue down).

The ones I used to bolt the body to the frame have a 9/16in head which probably means that they have a 7/16in shank? or is that a 3/8in shank?

Rocky,
3/8" bolts generally have a 9/16" head. Are you sure you used a 5/8" bolt on the coupler and not a 7/16" bolt with a 5/8" head? a 5/8" bolt is a rather large bolt to be using on a teardrop trailer ;)

I used something similar to these when I attached the plywood floor to the trailer frame,
http://www.stainless-fasteners.com/self ... screws.htm
"Follow me, I'm right behind you"

ImageImage
Kevin A
The other guy

Postby Dale M. » Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:35 pm

Why not use "Elevator Bolts", they have large flat head that will be even with flooring, and you could use nylon lock nuts or traditional lock washers and nuts to keep them from coming loose...

http://www.aaronscapscrews.com/ElevatorBolts.htm

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Nitetimes » Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:44 pm

Kevin A wrote:
asianflava wrote:
Nitetimes wrote:

Rocky,
3/8" bolts generally have a 9/16" head. Are you sure you used a 5/8" bolt on the coupler and not a 7/16" bolt with a 5/8" head? a 5/8" bolt is a rather large bolt to be using on a teardrop trailer ;)

I used something similar to these when I attached the plywood floor to the trailer frame,
http://www.stainless-fasteners.com/self ... screws.htm

Most likely it was 3/8" with a 9/16" head. The coupler should have been 1/2" with a 3/4" head, 7/16" bolts are one of the oddballs generally having a 5/8" head size and a 11/16" nut size. As you get bigger it gets more common, 9/16" bolts usually have a 13/16" head and a 7/8" nut size.
Now there's some useless information for ya.

BTW Rocky, I kinda figured that's what you meant. Just jerkin yer chain a bit. 8) 8) :lol:
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby asianflava » Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:56 am

Nitetimes wrote:BTW Rocky, I kinda figured that's what you meant. Just jerkin yer chain a bit. 8) 8) :lol:

Yeah, but at least you didn't make a liar out of me. :thumbsup:

Gotta keep me on my toes.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby bledsoe3 » Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:05 am

Check my reply to another thread here.
http://tnttt.com/viewto ... 410#147410
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby AlStAubin » Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:19 pm

Mike.. I am going with the T nuts also...picked up more then I'll probably use from the locall flea market.. My question-did you add any lock tite to the threads or is it needed? Ive never worked with the T nuts before.
Keep on smiling, makes people wonder what you've been up to!!
AlStAubin
Teardrop Advisor

Postby KA » Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:42 am

Hi,
It seems like most folks here on this thread are bolting their floors directly to frame members rather than to receivers welded to the chassis. Is there any concern about structural strength loss by drilling into the frame? Should a person be concerned with placement of the holes...too close to a corner, etc?
I apologize if I'm repeating questions here. My brain is getting a little confused and crowded with teardrop info. I'm going to the welder on Monday and am wondering if it would be worthwhile to have them do a little extra welding for bolt receivers.

:) Kris
KA
Donating Member

Postby bledsoe3 » Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:06 am

Kris, Have your welder weld some angle iron to the inside of the frame and bolt your floor thru that.
I used ten of them.
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby angib » Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:40 am

KA wrote:Is there any concern about structural strength loss by drilling into the frame?

I think the rule should be: Don't drill into the tongue/A-frame - that can weaken it too much. But the rest of the frame is structurally pretty unimportant on a well-built teardrop, so drilling sensible-sized holes in it won't cause the slightest problem.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby KA » Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:07 pm

Thanks Jim and Andrew,
I feel like I can go to the welder now with a lot less anxiety.
It will be great to get that "much fussed over" axle out of the back of my car and finally welded to a chassis.

Thanks again.
Kris :designing: :worship: :)
KA
Donating Member

Postby doug hodder » Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:09 pm

I just bolted the deck down on the Rocketear, like an hour ago...did the angle tabs like Jim and 12 3/8 carriage bolts...just don't blow too big of a hole for them in the wood, make the steel hole larger...better off to go a hair smaller and smack them through with a hammer on the wood, then when you tighten them up they will seat...I had to do it this way...the dog refuses to hold the wrench on the top when I tighten...when you're working by yourself, you need to devise the easiest method to accomplish your goal...I've done 3 like this and haven't lost one yet..Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

PreviousNext

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets