HF 1800 # Trailer Mod

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

HF 1800 # Trailer Mod

Postby Mike Angeles » Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:46 am

Hey All-
Ive noticed a few folks using the center supports to add strength to the 2 halves of the frame. not unlike reinforcing the HF Folding trailer. Fairly common Practice? or just a preference? I assume it would add all kinds of support for the overall Length of the frame. If/when I move the axle position back, Ill lose the rigidity the Spring hanger provided once it gets moved off the front section.

Mike
Image Image

tact /takt/ –noun
1. a keen sense of what to say or do to avoid giving offense; including the ability to speak or act without offending.
2. a keen sense of what is appropriate, tasteful, or aesthetically pleasing; taste;
Mike Angeles
Teardrop Master

Postby Arne » Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:19 am

I think on the 1,800# trailer, the suspension support also ties the 2 - 4 foot sections together. That joint would have to be welded with an overlapping plate for support if you move the axle to the rear.

I did mine a couple of years ago, but think that is what I did... I do know it's reinforced where the pieces meet, but can't recall what we used.

As I've made changes to the trailer, I've moved the axle several times. The way the suspension mounts to the frame makes it very easy to do.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby Mike Angeles » Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:39 am

I think on the 1,800# trailer, the suspension support also ties the 2 - 4 foot sections together. That joint would have to be welded with an overlapping plate for support if you move the axle to the rear

Arne, thats correct, I was asking if anyone had used the 2 center Members as the support. Bolted/Welded in place to join the 2 halves of the frame.

Mike
Image Image

tact /takt/ –noun
1. a keen sense of what to say or do to avoid giving offense; including the ability to speak or act without offending.
2. a keen sense of what is appropriate, tasteful, or aesthetically pleasing; taste;
Mike Angeles
Teardrop Master

Postby Nobody » Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:53 am

Yeah Mike, I used the two steel cross members to reinforce the side rails of my 1800# HF tlr. I then added a wood cross member before doing the floor. Here's pic of the added wood. It doesn't show the bolt thru to hold it in position but I just used a 2 1/2" lag screw on each side. It's actually held in place by the side rails as I trimmed & notched the ends & had to 'turn' it in with the pipe wrench shown in the pic. Also the floor is bolted to all cross members so the wood member is mainly there for my own satisfaction. More pix in my album -

Harvey -

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Doing the right thing ain't always easy but, . . . it's always right!
Nobody
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Mike Angeles » Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:43 pm

Hey Harvey thanks, actaully your the one who got me thinking about it, I was just about to add the plywood to the Framing. got to loking at your Album, and here I am. looks far stronger than stock. I disassembled the Frame and have it layed out on the floor, Looking at Axel placement and what ill need to do to Move the axel back. I have it currently at 45" from the rear but thats after extending the Rear frame by laying 2' Angles over the back bolted in place adding an additional 12' to the Frame. Im guessing anywhere from 35 to 40 -ish inchs from the rear im guessing. I hope get pics posted shortly......no really

Edit - Ive uploaded a fistful of Pics if your Bored, (Ok, so its a small fist)

Thanks,
Mike
Image Image

tact /takt/ –noun
Mike Angeles
Teardrop Master

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets