Tutorial frame aka (Rocketear) is pretty much done.

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Tutorial frame aka (Rocketear) is pretty much done.

Postby doug hodder » Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:43 pm

Outside of the stabilizer jacks, coupler and a paint job...the frame is done...Time investment...right now not counting rounding up materials...7 hours including putting the axle together...It's made for a 4'6" by 10' tear...4' tongue...the weights are as follows...86# tires and wheels, 205 70R 15's mounted on chromed slot rally wheels, 80# on 4" drop axle with springs...balance is 92# for entire frame...total rolling weight 257#...so keep in mind...this is a custom frame on larger tires and wheels, heavier axle set up than the store bought ones...an additional 18# could have been cut from the A members on the tongue, but I have future plans that needed the strength up there and built it in now rather than modifying it in the future...you will be able to build it as you want...this only reflects what I'm building...Rich and I are working on the verbage for detailing the build...the progression of the steps to do it...everyone will be able to plug in Andrews materials specs, and balance points for their particular needs...We've got a bunch of pics together, but aren't going to post any till we get the copy written...Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Ron » Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:54 pm

Doug,

Thanks for putting this together, it will benifit everyone, including me. Looking forward to seeing it.

Ron
Ron
Teardrop Master

Postby Juneaudave » Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:20 pm

I've changed my mind...I can't read a tutorial on frame building because then I will know all the stuff I have done wrong. I'll be driving down the road, looking out my mirrors, watching for something to fall off. I'll never see any of the scenery again.... and will probably either rear end a Winnabago or run over a moose because I'm checking to see a trailer back there!!! I suggest a well written tutorial on solid frame building fundamentals flys in the face of the many posts advocating ultra lightweight frames...many of those that are on the edge of any known safety factor. How, I ask, can a person reach deep to hit the height of creativity on frame construction with a good manual in place...

FREE THE CRUDDY BUILDERS, FREE THE CRUDDY BUILDERS...I cry.
Juneaudave
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby doug hodder » Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:32 pm

Dave...like I mentioned....this is only our intrepretation of building a frame... and it should be considered as such...everyone can take what they want from this and discard the rest...it's only intended to be a guide...Rich and I thought that a well documented custom build might be of help to some of those people that have the ambition to build their own frame...like I say, I have used the materials I wanted for my build...substitutions and the specs for them are readily available from Andrews guidelines....It is really designed to help people decide whether or not they want to take on the challenge, and if they do...the steps necessary to complete the frame...Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Juneaudave » Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:53 pm

Shucks Doug...I was just joking...

I really appreciate the work that you have (are) doing. In my own case, it would have been very beneficial to me to have a manual that captured the thoughts of an experienced builder!!!

You know...lot's of us embark on a custom frame with little or no welding experience, little or no knowledge of frame strength, member size, axle choices, couplers, stabilizers, how to attach a safety chain, how to attach a deck...but through this site, we pick up a little knowledge here and a little knowledge there and most turn out with a great Tear. Look at the builds. Your tutorial will be a great asset!!!

Thank you...Juneaudave :applause: :applause:
Juneaudave
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby mikeschn » Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:50 am

Doug,

That ought to be some nice tutorial... I might just wait till I see that before I do the next chassis. Does it have a dropped floor?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Re: Tutorial frame aka (Rocketear) is pretty much done.

Postby angib » Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:01 am

doug hodder wrote:the weights are as follows...86# tires and wheels, 205 70R 15's mounted on chromed slot rally wheels, 80# on 4" drop axle with springs...balance is 92# for entire frame...total rolling weight 257#

I see Harbor Freight give the weight of their 1075lb trailer as 287lb - so by the time you've added the fenders, lights (and coupler?) that they include, you'll be about the same weight.

Interesting! :thinking:

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby bdosborn » Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:58 pm

Thanks Doug, can't wait to check it out.
Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby doug hodder » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:38 pm

Mike...no dropped floor...it's just going to be a base frame for a slightly oversized tear 4'6" x 10'....however from this design...a drop floor could easily be added depending on how deep you want one...I like a lower riding tear so you wouldn't get as deep of a drop as you might want...want more drop to the floor, put the axle on the bottom of the springs...pick up 2.5", want more...do a straight axle on top or bottom of the springs...lots of options...I've got some pictures showing how to set up the axle with these options shown that will be in the tutorial...it's all up to the builder...and Andrew...thanks for the numbers on that...I didn't even check out what the HF frame weighed...however, and I'm biased, I got a frame for the same weight with lots more axle/ bearings/ wheels and tires under it...did it cost more?...yes it did, but I did get a lot better components in it. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby bdosborn » Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:32 pm

Hey Doug,

When are you going to post that frame tutorial? I figured out my axle, now I'm ready to design the frame.
Bruce
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby madjack » Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:49 pm

Bruce, I thought I would drop this in here...Doug is on the road taking care of some business and I don't know when he will be back....
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby bdosborn » Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:06 pm

MJ,

Okay, I'll sit quietly and wait...
Bruce
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby doug hodder » Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:43 pm

Bruce....I'm back, barely...I need to get with Rich as he was doing a lot of the write up work on the tutorial...he and I will get together and kind of sort things out where we are. Please bear with us as we both have a lot of stuff on our plates, and want to make sure we put it together so it's usable info. Everyone is going to need to build their frame to suit their needs, and this is only going to be what we decided fit ours. It's a basic one with a few extras that I wanted on mine. I may find myself way short on time here in the near future as the purpose of my "out of town" business trip involves 5 acres of ground that ultimately will be a campground, in a very heavily forested part of Oregon, among other things...now I need to polish up on my heavy equipment skills for next springs doings...hopefully we'll close on it the end of the month...Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby toypusher » Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:00 pm

doug hodder wrote:...now I need to polish up on my heavy equipment skills for next springs doings...Doug

Doug,

I have experience with Trackhoes, Backhoes, Bulldozers, Skidstears, Dumptrucks, and a few other things that might be handy. Just send me the airline ticket and I'll be there to help!!! :lol:
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby Nitetimes » Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:00 pm

toypusher wrote:
doug hodder wrote:...now I need to polish up on my heavy equipment skills for next springs doings...Doug

Doug,

I have experience with Trackhoes, Backhoes, Bulldozers, Skidstears, Dumptrucks, and a few other things that might be handy. Just send me the airline ticket and I'll be there to help!!! :lol:

Same here, bet we could make quick work of it. :lol: 8) 8)
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Next

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets