Flip

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Flip

Postby Stephen G. » Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:24 pm

Hello

I have a Tractor Supply trailer that we are building a teardrop on and I have a question about the leafsprings. My brother inlaw mentioned to me that people that go offroading in 4wd's often remount the leafspring bracket from the top to the bottom to get a little more ground clearence. He looked at mine and said it would be easy to do but should I?
Would you see any problem with doing this? It would help to get a few more inches up.

Thanks for your help
Stephen G.
Teardrop Master

Postby madjack » Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:35 pm

Stephen...check your axle with a straight edge...it probably has a slight upwards bow init...if so, you can't just "flip" the axle...that bow has to remain pointed upwards...you can put that axle under the springs by putting new spring seats on top of the axle and placing it under the springs.......
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Stephen G. » Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:47 pm

Hi Madjack

Thats what I was trying to say. To put the axle under the springs.
There should be no problem with this as in causing problems. I would be pretty easy to do it.
Stephen G.
Teardrop Master

Postby madjack » Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:28 am

Stephen...all that is required is attaching new spring pads to the top of the axle...if that is not a problem to you, then it should cause no problems...are you planning to go off-roading??? if not then why raise it??? If you are going off-roading you might want to add some angled bracing to the single tube tongue on the TSC trailer
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby surveytech » Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:05 am

you would gain some additional clearance by putting larger wheels/tires on it as well. (assuming you have the 12" wheels)

If you did the axle and wheels it should be way up there.
Would that match up to your tow vehicle ok?

And like Jack said.......if offroading beef up the tongue.
surveytech
Donating Member

Postby steve wolverton » Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:09 pm

Stephen G. wrote:Thats what I was trying to say. To put the axle under the springs.

Jeep guys do that all the time for more clearance - called a "springover." Not a clever name, but it works. ;)

Another nice thing about it is you can then use lift blocks (blocks added between spring & axle) if you want even more clearance.
�veni, vidi, vici.�
steve wolverton
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby asianflava » Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:31 pm

steve wolverton wrote:Another nice thing about it is you can then use lift blocks (blocks added between spring & axle) if you want even more clearance.

Or less clearance, the mini truck guys keep the axle on top of the springs then put blocks between the axle and spring to lower the ride height.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets