HF Trailer

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

HF Trailer

Postby coonrebel » Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:29 pm

Has anyone used the stake pocket on the HF Trailer as a mounting point in making the teardrop removable. I am trying to build one where I could make it either a camper or utility trailer when needed.
coonrebel
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Gerdo » Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:21 pm

You could build your TD body off the frame, or just sitting on it. Then after it is built just thru bolt with carrage bolts where you can reach. You need to account for the fenders and DOT lighting when the body is on or off. You can make the TD body fully self contained so it just needs to be unbolted and lift/slide it off. You may have to compromise on a few things like built-in DOT lights and space between the body and the fenders. There is no reason that you can't make it removable. Think about some kind of "skids" on the bottom so you don't tear up the bottom removing it, maybe Lexan or plexi. Also consider the finished weight, you may want some kind of rolling table/dolly about the same height as your trailer.
Last edited by Gerdo on Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gerdo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby angib » Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:36 pm

The idea of a removeable body has been discussed several times - though nobody's done it yet, as far as I know.

Using the stake pockets would have a precedent - if you look at the 1947 Mechanix Illustrated Trailer for Two plans (first item when you click on the 'Vintage Plans' link at the top of this page), that's exactly what they call for (bottom of page 5).

Please do it and tell us how it works!

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets