Disadvantage of using an aluminum frame

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Disadvantage of using an aluminum frame

Postby windmillnut » Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:22 pm

I remember there was a thread that covered this, but I cannot find it now. Aside from the increased cost I seem to remember there are issues with stress cracking and considerations have to be made to how alumninum reacts with materials put in contact with it. If it does crack is aluminum hard to repair?

I am tryin' to decide which way to go.

Thanks,
Brian
What is lost, is found again... What is old, is new again...
Together, we can preserve the past, enjoy the present and leave a legacy for the future...
windmillnut
Teardrop Inspector

Postby PaulC » Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:56 pm

Brian, I can't help with the thread but I would question any supposed weight gains when you have to use a much heavier gauge in aluminium(that's how we spell it :lol: ).
As for repairing it, if you are a great welder it can be fixed by welding and bracing.
Just my 2 cents worth.

Cheers
Paul :thumbsup:
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Postby kerryd » Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:57 pm

Hi Brian , I like the advantage alluminum . It might take a few more gusset plates . But i think you get a nice trailer . If go look at aluminum horse trailers , like Feather Lite , they really got it down .I know it's not a tear. As far as metal reaction , a coat of paint can stop that . The worse I ever saw was Aluminum and galvanized metal . When comes to fastesners, use stainless. Good luck ! Kerry
kerryd
Teardrop Master

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets