Minimalist Torsion Axle Frame

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Re: Minimalist Torsion Axle Frame

Postby aggie79 » Wed May 15, 2013 8:16 am

Very nice Fred! I know Stacie will love her new Teardrop. Thank you for showing details of your construction methods.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby KCStudly » Wed May 15, 2013 2:29 pm

Excellent work there, sir! I applaud thee. :applause: :applause: :applause:

Stacie, "Road trip." - Otter & Boon, Animal House, 1978
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby deleted » Wed May 15, 2013 2:59 pm

I do, I do, I love, Love, LOVE it! Thanks so much Fred! The entire process has been an absolute pleasure :thumbsup:

BTW, feel free to camp out in it in your yard if you'd like to before I come get it. To sleep you can put your feet in the tongue box since I suspect you are quite a few inches taller than me :lol:
deleted
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby SamIAm » Fri May 31, 2013 8:27 pm

That looks like a fantastic chassis design, and some great trailers on top of it.

What would be the possibility of having the tear portion removable, with the 6 or 9 bolts that are shown in the various designs, with a utility box that could be bolted in it's place? What dimensions of steel would I need to use to have a rough capacity of #2200lb gross (the likely TV's capacity)?

Thanks
SamIAm
Teardrop Inspector

Postby alaska teardrop » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:04 am

The design allows for different widths, cabin length and tongue length. The torsion axle is the main chassis crossmember. It assumes a cabin with torsional integrity. The #3 tie together parts are 1/8" flat bar. The #2 parts are 1/8"x2" square tubes for the coupler and axle mounting. The weight and tongue length of the trailer determine the #1 main rails. With a 36" tongue for example, the gross capacity would be 980# using 1/8"x2"x1" rectangular tube. 1341# using 1/8"x2"x1-1/2" rect. tube. 1701# using 1/8"x2"x2" square tube.
    Sam,
    A drawing of the design & an estimated weight of the trailer that you have in mind would be helpful in answering your questions. If the #1 frame rails are 3/16"x2"x2" square tubing, the capacity would be 2240# for a trailer with a 3' tongue.
    :peace: Fred
Northern Lite Traveler design: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=51991
Minimalist torsion axle frame: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=12220
Alaska Teardrop photo gallery: http://tnttt.com/gallery/album.php?album_id=2014
Glampette photo gallery; gallery/album.php?album_id=2983&sk=t&sd=d&st=0
alaska teardrop
Platinum Donating Member

Postby SamIAm » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:58 pm

Sam,
    A drawing of the design & an estimated weight of the trailer that you have in mind would be helpful in answering your questions. If the #1 frame rails are 3/16"x2"x2" square tubing, the capacity would be 2240# for a trailer with a 3' tongue.
[/quote]

Hi Fred,
I was just up in Alaska a couple weeks ago, and enjoyed the trip- mostly around Anchorage.
Here is an image of my version of your frame.

I hope that the teardrop/trailer combo would be 7-800 lbs. I would construct the tear with a torsion box floor, with foam walls and roof covered in Canvas in the Foamie tradition, and from what I've read, this would be a torsionally strong tear. I would like to be able to take off the tear, and put on a utility frame, likely made out of angle ironor square tube, and have a gross capacity of 2400lbs (Subaru Forester TV.) I don't have a truck, or easy access to one, so having a utility trailer would be nice to pick up sheet goods from the lumber yard or doing landscaping stuff, and if I can make one trailer do the job of two, that would be great in my books. I would be sure to use lockwashers or nylock nuts on the attachment bolts, and use grade 5 or higher.

A couple notes on my drawing:
I put 2x3x1/8 for the main members- According to angib's link here (http://www.angib.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/t ... tear84.htm) it is stronger, but lighter. I am not sure if I should use it for the axle attachment points as well or if 2x2x1/8 would be sufficient. Also, I initially put 2x3x1/8 for the rear member, but I wonder if I could go with 1.5x2.5x1/8 instead.
The axle attachment points would have holes drilled every 2 inches to allow for some adjustment of the axle position for balancing.
I would use a Flexiride or Dexter axle
Attachment points are marked with an x
Thanks for your feedback,
Brendon
SamIAm
Teardrop Inspector

Postby alaska teardrop » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:18 am

Hi Brendon,
    I lived in Alaska for many years, however I no longer live there. I do miss it at times. You're lucky that you don't have so far to travel.
    Must say that by using this layout for a heavy trailer, you are taking me into a realm that I hadn't considered.
    Good catch on the 2x3x1/8 tubing. According to Andrews chart, that gives you a 2670# tongue capacity with a 42" tongue. Also, by using the 2x3x1/8 for the coupler & axle mounts everything will be in the same horizontal plane for easier & proper welding.
    Now, here is where I question the dual use trailer idea. To get a 2400# gross weight capacity you would need a #10 Dexter w/brakes (or Flexride equivalent). You might try calculating the steel & axle weight and costs to see where you're at verses buying a utility trailer for your heavy loads. The other problem with the dual purpose idea that I see, is that a 7-800# teardrop on a 2400# axle would be like having no suspension at all.
alaska teardrop
Platinum Donating Member

Postby SamIAm » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:46 am

Thanks for the feedback Fred,

I know I may be overshooting my goals with the dual purpose, or at least dual purpose with such a wide weight range. Perhaps if I halved my target weight for the utility trailer to 1100# I would be better off, and the majority of the use the utility would get would be under that weight, yardwork likely being the only victim to a reduced trailer capacity. Up where I live, trailers are quite expensive- the low end is $1200 - $1500, so purchasing a second one is a major thing (and I'd rather buy a new table saw for the same amount!) No Harbor Freight or Tractor Supply as a source of cheaper trailers. I've got all summer to plan, as I won't start building until the fall, so I can contemplate the advantages and disadvantages of each course of action.
Thanks again for the advice,
Brendon
SamIAm
Teardrop Inspector

Postby alaska teardrop » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:50 am

You're welcome Brendon,
    That sounds like a very good compromise. At 1100# you could use the #8 Dexter and have safe & smooth ride for the teardrop. Back to your original question. 2x1-1/2x1/8 rectangular tubing would have a tongue capacity of 1150# with a 42" tongue. You of course, should run your own calculations.
    Keep on designing. :designing: Fred
alaska teardrop
Platinum Donating Member

Previous

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets