Pictures of my Trailer

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Pictures of my Trailer

Postby coonrebel » Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:10 pm

I got a 4 x 8 trailer from Homebase years ago. It had 8" Tires.It look like a HF. I got a HF Mini Trailer with 12"tires the other day as a donor trailer. I used the tires and spring from the mini . I want to build a 6 x 10. I plan to go a foot out on each side. My question is the floor frame. I notice some are 1x2 ,2x2, 2x4s and 2x4 on edge. I want to build light and stout enough for the weight.
coonrebel
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Pictures of my Trailer

Postby Nitetimes » Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:05 pm

First things first. I would venture to say they the springs on that mini trailer are lighter than the ones on the 4x8. Just because there are more leaves doesn't mean they are necessarily heavier.

As for the floor, what I would do since you are going 6 wide is lay a couple 2x2's across the frame except the front and back I would bolt 2x4's on edge to the front and back of the trailer giving a little extra support to the outside edges for wall support.
Of course there are lots of ways you could do it and I'm sure you'll hear more. My only real concern is the width of the axle, seems like it is gonna be pretty far in under the trailer.

Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby EZ » Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:41 pm

My camper is 5 1/2 feet wide on a 4' trailer. I used 2 X 3s on edge for the frame with 1/2" ply over the top. Once it is all together it is very strong. I can't see 3" more on each side making much of a difference. It's not like you are walking on the far edges of the floor standing up or anything. Time will tell Im guess but it seems awfully strong to me. Seems to tow just fine also.

Ed

EZ
Donating Member

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:48 pm

EZ wrote:

Ed, Beck's, my favorite beer. Nice start to the teardrop also.

I extended mine on the front and back. My overhang is about 12" on each end. The wide overhang should work well the way you have it.
Good thinkin'
:thumbsup:
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana) Director "Hoosier" chapter
Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:58 pm

Don't be afraid to use a couple 2x4s for strength

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Springs

Postby coonrebel » Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:00 pm

I found the owner manual on my 4 X 8 and the Max load is 990 lbs and gvwr = 1180 lbs. The mini max load is 1350 lbs.
coonrebel
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets