Still Planning

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Still Planning

Postby Creamcracker » Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:22 pm

I've been reading through all the different threads and picked up great advice and suggestions from all of you. I plan on having a side profile similer to the commercially made "Li'l Guy" trailers -- (I know they sell them out of Canton OH not sure if that's where they are made) Anyway so the profile will be somewhat "egg-like" Because of the shape I know I will lose some floor space. The actual floor of the teardrop will be about 6.5 ft. -- It's enough for my wife and I. In order to be able to build I need a chassis that would be approx 6.5ft by 4ft. I have considered building my own wooden chassis and bolting the hardware/axle/etc directly to the trailer but the axles etc seem expensive and then I have the added expense of the wiring along with having to self wire the unit for the required trailer lights. So here's my question(s) -- Is there a commercially built trailer unit like the 8x4 bare chassis trailer from HF or TSC but in a 6 x 4 size? OR can the HF 8x4 be adjusted so that it would be a 6x4? And if so can the wheels/axle be relocated to account for the shortened frame? I can't justify spending what it would cost to have a trailer welded to my requirements when the HF is available for around a couple of hundred. Anyone with any experience or suggestions? Your help has been invaluable so far. I intend to tow this behind both my MINI Cooper ---
http://www.mini2.com/galleries/showphot ... user/11101
and my MGB ---
http://www.mini2.com/galleries/showphot ... user/11101
As you can see the MINI is White (actually off white) and the MGB is British Racing Green. I intend to finish the tear drop in White over Green with a large Red Dragon on the side --- The Flag of Wales from whence we came in 1984. That way it should look good behind both cars --- Oh yea --- and the name TearDragon or maybe TearDrag'n. Hope someone can help with my questions above --- I'm getting teardrop fever now and want to get crackin'
Thanks Philip
Image Image
3rd Annual Out of Control Shop Winner :)
Creamcracker
Teardrop Graduate

Postby Micro469 » Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:44 am

O.K. I have no experience with HF trailers, but I would imagine you can take a 4x8 and cut the sides to the length you want and rebolt the back cross piece back on. You would then have to reposition your axle, but that would be a simple task of drilling new holes and bolting it in place.

;)
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Postby madjack » Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:08 am

CC, you can do as John has suggested or as an alternative, HF has a 40"x49" trailer that may work out for ya...I believe, that is what Roly used on the 1/4 Nelson and it is what my partner used on his "BedRoll"......
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Creamcracker » Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:34 am

madjack wrote:CC, you can do as John has suggested or as an alternative, HF has a 40"x49" trailer that may work out for ya...I believe, that is what Roly used on the 1/4 Nelson and it is what my partner used on his "BedRoll"......
madjack 8)

I've looked at that 40 x 49 but that would be too narrow -- if the 40 is the width --- which I believe it is.
Image Image
Creamcracker
Teardrop Graduate

Postby mikeschn » Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:14 am

the 4x8 can easily be adjusted to 4x6. You just need a porta-band and a 7/16" drill bit...

Mike
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Creamcracker » Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:48 am

mikeschn wrote:the 4x8 can easily be adjusted to 4x6. You just need a porta-band and a 7/16" drill bit...

Mike

Hi Mike -- So that's a 4x8 from HF cut down to a 4x6 in the picture?
Philip
Image Image
Creamcracker
Teardrop Graduate

Postby mikeschn » Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:56 am

No, mine has actually been lengthened, but the point is, it's as easy as working with an erector set. Did you ever play with that growing up?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby angib » Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:03 pm

mikeschn wrote:it's as easy as working with an erector set. Did you ever play with that growing up?

Pah! Splutter, splutter. Erector - another American copy!

Here is a nice little bridge model made by a Belgian boy from the original Meccano:

Gulp. Even the much-fabled 'Number 10' Meccano set wouldn't have built that.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby asianflava » Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:34 pm

Seems like most Amreican TV shows are just European knockoffs now.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Creamcracker » Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:45 pm

angib wrote:
mikeschn wrote:it's as easy as working with an erector set. Did you ever play with that growing up?

Pah! Splutter, splutter. Erector - another American copy!

Here is a nice little bridge model made by a Belgian boy from the original Meccano:

Gulp. Even the much-fabled 'Number 10' Meccano set wouldn't have built that.

Andrew

Ha! That's funny -- I grew up in Wales and it was Meccano for me also! Oh those glorious days!
Image Image
Creamcracker
Teardrop Graduate

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets