Boat trailer for boat and Tear Drop

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Boat trailer for boat and Tear Drop

Postby BristolBay » Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:16 am

Hi all,
Just starting on this project and would like to use my existing boat trailer for my TD, but still retain use for boat. Trailer is a home modified that my dad picked up for his 14' Starcraft Seascamp (a rather heavy cartop aluminum boat). Trailer needs rework for lighter boat than previous owner used, but will wind up with Center rails and Axle frame to connect TD to trailer.

To make TD removable, thinking about building over wheels and bolting to trailer frame at front and rear. To load/unload TD, figure I could lower tongue and set rear jacks and unbolt rear frame connection; then raise tongue and repeat at front - trailer slides in/out.

Any ideas on framing floor of TD? Most plans call for frames that are part of trailer, so I want to keep it as light as possible.
BristolBay
Teardrop Inspector

Postby dwgriff1 » Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:54 am

Almost anything CAN be done, given time and money. Whether it should be done is another matter.

Don't spend a lot of time figuring a cheap way to get around a good undercarriage design. Use good stuff. It isn't that spendy and it will work better.

You can build a trailer that will have several bodies and uses, but it will likely be full of compromises.

Get a pair of half axles and build what you want.

dave
dwgriff1
500 Club

Postby SteveH » Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:42 am

I agree with Dave. Although it is an interesting idea, it would probably be more trouble than the amount of money saved is worth. But, that is my opinion and yours may very well differ.
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Kevin A » Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:39 pm

BristolBay,

Do you have any photos of the boat trailer that you can post?
"Follow me, I'm right behind you"

ImageImage
Kevin A
The other guy

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets