HF axle over springs dilemma

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

HF axle over springs dilemma

Postby kiltedwon » Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:40 pm

I'm thinking if you add pic 1 to pic 2 it equals assured replacement of either my axle or springs before too long. Any ideas of how I can set this up so that it seats well? It doesn't look like even some flat spacer plates between the spring and axle would provide a good seat, but then again, that is why I am throwing it out there to the more experienced.

Last edited by kiltedwon on Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kiltedwon
Teardrop Advisor

Postby EZ » Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:55 pm

Isn't there a hole in the axel to accept the round bolt head protruding from the bottom (top in your picture)? I thought that is how the HF axel/springs normally fit together.

Ed
EZ
Donating Member

Postby Mary K » Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:09 pm

I thought the same thing, but there should be a notch in the axle that lines up with the bolt head in the center of the springs.

I had to cut my Red Trailer narrower, so I had to re-drill the notch in the axle.

Mk
Mary K

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. Bilbo Baggins
Mary K
6000 Club
6000 Club

Postby kiltedwon » Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:47 pm

There is a notch to hold the springs in place if you mount the springs on top of the axle, but not the other way around. Also, that notch is out of the C-channel itself. Since we're talking 3" of difference here, I think I'm just going to let it go.
kiltedwon
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Mary K » Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:23 pm

Well, Here is my story on that issue....

Mary K wrote:Red Trailer Mod.

Just wanted to show yall the plate I added under the axle. The axle has a notch cut into it for a bolt head on the springs. (on both sides left/right) When the trailer is modified for the Generic Benroy Plans these notches do not line up. I added this plate w/ a hole for the bolt to lift the axle off the bolt head.

Mk

Then Gerdo's reply....

Gerdo wrote:I think tie bolt that you are talking about, it goes thru the leaf spring pack, not only holds the pack together but it is also a locating pin. It puts the axle in alignment and keeps it there.You may want to remove your shim and drill a hole for the bolt.

So I took out the plate and re-drilled the notch on the opposite side so I could mount the axle between the spring and the trailer. Now I don't have to worry about it.

Mk
Mary K

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. Bilbo Baggins
Mary K
6000 Club
6000 Club

Postby GregB » Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:19 pm

I had the same problem so I just removed the bolt and nut in the springs and reversed it so the axle clamp plate would seat properly. I checked and did not see a bow in the axle so I figured either side up would be fine.

GB

PS - Oops, my bad. I just realized you aren't talking about the HF 1740 which has the tube axle. I will return to my semi-comatose state now.
I'm not dead, yet. I'm feeling better.
GregB
500 Club

Postby Dale M. » Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:41 pm

I think if there is no indexing hole for spring bolt to index into axle the simple solution would to be drill hole in axle to provide hole for indexing

IF you put a plate between spring and axle to provide space for spring bolt head, plate should be at least tack welded to axle to prevent movement...

To not do this will allow axle to move around and poor axle alignment and tracking will occur...

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets