Where should the axle be?

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Where should the axle be?

Postby War Eagle » Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:24 pm

I know under the TD! :lol: What I mean is ... I have a 5x8 untility trailer that I plan to use for my TD build. The axel is basically center on the trailer and I have notice that in some pictures many of you seem to have the axel more toward the back. Is this for hauling purposes of to make clearance for the door? Will the Generic Benroy Plans allow for my axel to be in the center?
War Eagle
Teardrop Master

Postby rbeemer » Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:13 pm

War Eagle,

Andrew was nice enough to post a downloadable spreadsheet that will calculate where you should put your axle. If you look in the design library you should find it.

The position of your axle is dependant on how much tongue weight you want, estimated weight of the finished trailer, where you are carrying wight, length of trailer.

Besides the tongue weght mose folks move it back so they can open there doors and miss the fenders or you must build the door to be opened with the bottom corner curved to match the shape of the fender so you can open it without hiiting the fender.
Rick

If ducks had scales, would fish quack?
rbeemer
500 Club

Postby mikeschn » Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:29 pm

Very well sumarized Rick!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby War Eagle » Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:56 am

That's what I was thinking. I've seen the spreadsheet but I guess I was hopeing you would say it wasn't important and that the Benroy was designed so the door would work with what I have. The reason I was hopeing this is because I'm not sure but I think my mounts are welded to the frame. But I need to have the sides and fenders cut off so I guess I can get the axel moved at the same time.

Thanks
War Eagle
Teardrop Master

Postby madjack » Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:33 am

VERy ROUGH rule of thumb( my thumb that is)...36"s from rear to center of wheel onna 8"er...add 3-4"s for each additional foot...all this is dependent on many factors as Rick posted...you want to end up with between 10% and 20% of total weight on tongue for best towing characteristics...that is what Andrews spreadsheet is to help calculate/establish......
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby angib » Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:49 pm

My simplest rule of thumb is to put the axle between 35% and 40% of the frame length from the back - and madjack's 36" on a 8ft frame is bang in the middle at 37.5%!

You can go as far forward as 45% of the frame length, but only if you have a light galley and intend to fit a heavy tongue box.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby madjack » Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:03 pm

angib wrote:My simplest rule of thumb is to put the axle between 35% and 40% of the frame length from the back - and madjack's 36" on a 8ft frame is bang in the middle at 37.5%!

You can go as far forward as 45% of the frame length, but only if you have a light galley and intend to fit a heavy tongue box.

Andrew

...tain't nothing like "practical" engineering :D ;) ............................................ 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby dwgriff1 » Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:07 pm

I had mine too far forward. I took the axle loose, put a scale under the tongue and pulled the axle back till I got the tongue weight I wanted.

Very interestingly, the final position was almost exactly what both MadJack and Andrew figured. (Unfortunately I had the first version done before I saw their formulas).

dave
dwgriff1
500 Club

Re: Where should the axle be?

Postby MonteQuest » Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:00 pm

I am going to use a Dexter torsion axle on my build. Does the 60/40 rule measure to the axle or to the tire hub center? The torsion arm at the hub sets back of the axle itself. My tear drop will be 100" long, so 5' set back to the axle or the tire center? The frame is 88". So, 52.8" back from frame front?
Monte
MonteQuest
Teardrop Builder

Re: Where should the axle be?

Postby steve cowan » Fri Aug 18, 2023 7:38 am

I went 60/40 from the hub center.Also have to keep in mind where fender will not interfere with side door.
steve cowan
Donating Member

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets