My calculator is worn out

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

My calculator is worn out

Postby wuzuki » Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:54 am

Been floating around here for a while started building trailer and used wrong steel in the first chassis to flimsy lost motivation. then went camping in my tent trying to set that up in 20not winds. :cry:
came home and had another look at this site .Got motivated so planning started and now have drawing. but all the maths really made my head hurt. imperial to metric. 8x12x 25.4= 2438.4 but rounding up and down
i got the plan i wanted.using generic benroy plans but builing light wieght.
going behind samuria. need to tuck the wheels under body to get wheel track same as tow vehicle. my drawing is 1mm=10cm which was easy to draw on paper then scan and alter using microsoft paint.
so my trailer is 96inches long by 57 inches wide with sunken floor [/img]
wuzuki
Teardrop Inspector

Postby angib » Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:16 am

Yeah, ain't 'imperial' units a bummer? 'Course, you haven't to call them that round Merkans - they call them 'English' units......

If you want your trailer wheels to follow in the tracks of your Samurai, I'm guessing you want to use Samurai-sized tyres - 205/70R15 if you haven't changed them for something else.

But if you're not driving over big rocks all the time, you might want to consider using small wheels/tyres, which can still fit in the Samurai's wheel tracks but provide you with much more interior space.

I reckon if you put 205/70R15 tyres on a 1300mm track (like the right hand half of the drawing above), you're going to get about 990mm (39") inside the wheel wells. If you are really narrow in the hips, that might be OK, but otherwise you're going to have to move the bed up in the air, so it fits over the wheel boxes.

If you put 4.80-12 tyres on a 1370mm track, their outside edges will be in line with the Samurai's tyres, but you'll get something like 1140mm (45") between the wheel boxes which is tight, but bearable for sleeping.

Of course if your mates will laugh at you for having small wheels, then it's not going to work, but I reckon the 235mm or so under an axle on 12" tyres is about what you've got under your Samurai diffs.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Dale M. » Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:40 pm

Here is a new FREE calculator....

http://joshmadison.net/software/convert/

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Jiminsav » Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:16 pm

why do the wheels have to be inline with the tow vehicle, if the wheels don't exceed the max width for your regulations, stick um out there and have all the room.
you'll aways have the Teardrop, the samurai might die anytime soon.
Jim in Savannah
If you can read this bumper sticker, my camper fell off.
Jiminsav
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby PaulC » Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:25 pm

Jim, one of the things we like doing down here is beach driving. Having the wheels in line minimises drag in this situation.
Seeings how Wuzuki lives in "Sunny Queensland, beautiful one day perfect the next" and is probably able to get out onto the largest sand island in the world, Fraser Island, he/she is heading down the right track.
JMHO.
Cheers
Paul :thumbsup:
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

beach

Postby wuzuki » Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:36 am

yes this will be used on the beach as for interior space doing similar to mikenchell's baja benroy raise the bed deck to sit on wheel boxes.
8)
wuzuki
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Niall » Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:59 pm

Imperial to Metric ? No Problems..........forget the maths at first, you can use that later. Start out with a good steel ruler and tape measure that show's both and use the nearest metric mm. So far its worked a dream for me ! For steel size, go to the onesteel web site, everything you need as far as sizing / selection is concerened is there.

niall.
Niall
Silver Donating Member

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets