Northern Tool vs. Dexter torsion axles

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Postby angib » Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:34 pm

Gerdo wrote:I will be removing any unnessary metal form the frame. (ie the back half behind the springs).

I would leave some frame behind the rear spring mount. That mount is a point load and the teardrop body doesn't like point loads, so cut off the frame say 6" behind the mount.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Gerdo » Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:02 pm

True. I would leave enough to distribute the load. Probably move the rear cross member to that point. I am thinking of Mike's frameless design with a modified small frame, enough to carry the springs, tongue and tie both together.
Gerdo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby WarPony » Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:03 pm

Gerdo, I thought about doing that also. For me, I think it will still be too much weight even with just the square frame. I was planning on building a 5X8 on top of the frame that Andrew has in his "Superleggera" plans. That one has a torsion axle to triangulate and tie it all together. I'm probably going to modify that just a little so I can use leaf springs instead of a torsion axle or stubs. I like the stub axles but I'm a little iffy on how much force will be applied to the mounting plates if I use a light framework.

I'm not trying to make a super, ultra-lightweight rig but would like to cut a couple or three hundred pounds off on the next one. Compared to the TTT I have now (900-950 lbs), it shouldn't be hard to do. Just figuring in my head, after losing the heavy frame, raised floor and all the wood involved with it being raised, 300 should be a very reasonable goal.
ImageImage

Still a million dollars away from being a millionaire!!
WarPony
Donating Member

Postby lanego » Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:26 pm

Does anyone have any experience with this axle I'm looking at on eBay?
There's another listing on eBay that says one of these is marked Dexter?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... B:EF:US:11
Lane in RR
lanego
Teardrop Master

Postby WarPony » Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:19 pm

Lane, that was one that I was looking at (not on Ebay, though) and really liked the fact that it was custom made to the width you wanted. The #8 was right in my wheelhouse as far as the weight goes.
ImageImage

Still a million dollars away from being a millionaire!!
WarPony
Donating Member

Postby lanego » Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:24 pm

Good to know. I was thinking the # 8, too. The starting price seems very reasonable if it doesn't go up too much. In my budget.
lanego
Teardrop Master

Postby angib » Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:49 am

Those appear to be standard Dexter Torflex torsion axles. It doesn't say Dexter anywhere on the ad, but it does say Torflex which is a Dexter brand name and the '#8' and '#9' are Dexter identifiers too.

So, probably, you would get a Dexter axle - in which case you might want to compare the eBay price (with delivery added) to what a local Dexter dealer can offer.

Here are the #8 catalogue (pdf) and #9 catalogue (pdf) to download.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby lanego » Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:26 pm

Hey, Andrew, Happy New Year!

I'm going to check here in town with a dealer Asianflavva recommended. Just holidays are such a bad time for this. But I keep getting this and that done on this project. I really want to at least get a floor down; then it will seem real. Can't do it without the trailer (although I read some did). On eBay, I can just order from home or work and go on with every day life till it's delivered. Too convenient.

Lane in RR
lanego
Teardrop Master

Previous

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets