used trailers?

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

used trailers?

Postby Glen G. » Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:02 pm

I noticed some recomendations to look for used trailers. The one that caught my intrest was a boat trailer. What size do they come in for width and what kind of brands are out there? I am on small budget but am interested inbuilding a TD.
Glen G.
Teardrop Inspector

Postby JunkMan » Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:41 pm

Welcome Glen,

Too bad you're on the other side of the state, I could possibly help you find something that would work.

Boat trailers come in a variety of widths. You want to find one at least 48" wide, ideally 54"-60" (most people prefer a wider tear than 48"). Anything over 60" wide frame will probably have to be cut down, and that will mean a lot of extra work and welding. Not a problem if you have the equipment and time, but it can be expensive if you have to pay someone to do it.

Something with 5 lug hubs would be nice, as it gives you the ability to upgrade the tires and wheels easily.

You may want to avoid a galvanised(sp?) trailer, as the fumes that the galvanising gives off when welded/burned is toxic.
Jeff & Odie
Black Hills of South Dakota
JunkMan
500 Club

Postby asianflava » Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:28 am

A few eople have started ot with boat trailers. It seems like mixed results. Some worked out with no problems while others required extensive modificatons leaving the builder wondering if they should have started from scratch.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Glen G. » Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:26 pm

Thanks for replying. I will have look around some and keep an open mind on what might work. I'm not in too big a hurry just yet but is good to get some kind of game plan figured out before I start.
Also good to see there is an other SDakotan and yes too bad your on the other side of the state! :(

thanks again! I'll keep planning :thinking:

Glen
Glen G.
Teardrop Inspector

Postby JunkMan » Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:20 pm

Glen,

It seem like there is someone else from SD, down near Sioux City, I believe. I don't think they visit the forum very often, but I have seen them post a few times.
Jeff & Odie
Black Hills of South Dakota
JunkMan
500 Club

Postby Airspeed » Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:15 am

I looked around until I found an old camp trailer that was falling apart. The owner gave it to me for just hauling it off there property. I cut the body into little pieces and salvaged some of the stuff that was still good like the sink,some windows and aluminum trim and sheets.then I hauled the rest to the dump.it only cost me about 4 hours of work and $29 dump fees,well worth it though!
I will sell the windows and some of the other salvaged parts and probably make a profit off this free trailer. If you look around you will see junk trailers all over the place. Aaron
Airspeed
500 Club

Postby Podunkfla » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:29 am

I just got a HF 4 x 8' in good shape for $25... needs a taillight. :lol:
<B>~ Brick
<I>... I've done so much with so little for so long... Now I can do almost anything with nothing! </I></B>
Image...Lots more pix here!
Podunkfla
ol' noodle haid

Postby Miriam C. » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:49 am

Podunkfla wrote:I just got a HF 4 x 8' in good shape for $25... needs a taillight. :lol:

I don't suppose you feel like driving it to Missouri cause I would be happy to take it off your hands. You understand the price of gas it $2.69 a gallon so.... :R
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Podunkfla » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:16 pm

Miriam C. wrote:
Podunkfla wrote:I just got a HF 4 x 8' in good shape for $25... needs a taillight. :lol:

I don't suppose you feel like driving it to Missouri cause I would be happy to take it off your hands. You understand the price of gas it $2.69 a gallon so.... :R

Naaa, Miriam... Much as I could use the vacation, it's gettin to be prime building season here. I think I can find something interesting to do with it. ;)
<B>~ Brick
<I>... I've done so much with so little for so long... Now I can do almost anything with nothing! </I></B>
Image...Lots more pix here!
Podunkfla
ol' noodle haid

Another South Dakotan

Postby Aaron Coffee » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:22 pm

Glen,
I live in Elk Point, SD.
If I could shut my brain off, I could save myself alot of time, money and effort.
Aaron Coffee
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets