what are typical trailer weights, before the TT

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

what are typical trailer weights, before the TT

Postby fatehunter1972 » Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:35 am

I am wondering what people are getting for weights of just the trailer and framing without any wood attached.

I've been looking at these aluminum trailers as a place to start for a rugged and very lightwwwight frame.

I think I can get a axle and frame for a very reasonable price.

http://www.expresstrailer.com/a-utility.htm
Express Custom Trailers Mfg., Utility Trailers

So how much did your frame, axle tonque etc wwigh before you attached anything?
fatehunter1972
Teardrop Builder

Postby Keith B » Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:37 am

My trailer fully completed (wheels, jacks, etc.) came in at 400# and I put plenty of steel in it I think, so it could be made even lighter... check my album for photos.
Keith
"Work and work and do your best! Paint and putty will do the rest!"
Keith B
Silver Donating Member

Postby madjack » Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:50 am

FH...our 5x8 frame(alone) can be easily handled by two people and one could doit with a good grunt...in previous discussions on this subject it was basically decided that the weight savings are not really enough to justify the cost and other considerations of an aluminum frame...of course, that decision is yours to make.....
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby TRAIL-OF-TEARS » Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:53 am

I did not weigh my frame but I think it is about 250lbs with 14" steel wheels, tires, torflex axel, and tongue jack. I could pick it up by my self. But my frame is very minimal.

Steve J.

Home built Camp-Inn clone.
GO SPURS GO
TRAIL-OF-TEARS
Donating Member

Postby Keith B » Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:06 am

You could probably get rid of another 50# if you'd cut some of the excess light wires off :lol:
Keith
Keith B
Silver Donating Member

Postby fatehunter1972 » Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:24 am

keith,

That weight of 400 lbs is very encouraging. I had a look through your entire album and I really like the pictures of the wall/roof thickness. That gives me a great idea of what these things can weigh.

I have a utility trailer with a steel frame but it has a 3500 lb drop axle with 15" tires and I definitely cannot pick up the trailer myself, even a corner of it.

I am going to remove the utility trailers plywood sides and bottom and then weigh it.

A problem with a 3500 lb axle is that it is way too stiff for the light weight of a TT and it will be very bouncy.

Hmmmm, another trailer including the utility and the boat? well three times lucky.
fatehunter1972
Teardrop Builder

Postby madjack » Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:29 am

..geez FH, do you reallytrailer that boat in the avatar...must be some kinda trailer...what do ya tow it with :D :lol: ;)

fatehunter1972 wrote:..........Hmmmm, another trailer including the utility and the boat? well three times lucky.

...much like 5 gallon buckets, power tools and duct tape, you can never have too much/many........
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Keith B » Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:32 am

:lol: , let me add bailing wire....
Keith
Keith B
Silver Donating Member

Postby brian_bp » Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:21 pm

fatehunter1972 wrote:...I have a utility trailer with a steel frame but it has a 3500 lb drop axle with 15" tires...

...A problem with a 3500 lb axle is that it is way too stiff for the light weight of a TT and it will be very bouncy.

I assume that this is a drop-beam axle with leaf springs. If so, you can replace the spring packs with ones having fewer leaves, to suit the lighter load. You could also disassemble the original packs and reassemble without the shortest leaves, but new springs are so cheap it probably makes more sense to buy shiny new springs and recycle the rusty old ones.

My (not tiny) travel trailer has 5-leaf springs, good for 3500 lb on a Dexter-type (D35) drop axle. The axle and spring supplier who built it provided load ratings for the spring packs, which basically amount to 700 lb per leaf (total of the two sides), so 2100 lb capacity would mean three leaves (just the five-leaf pack without the two shortest ones).
brian_bp
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets